CJ5 build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Register Log in

RAMJETT

RCNT Rookie
Hello guys, I have been long looking for a Jeep CJ 5 body ,it's my favorite body and I just can't seem to find one worth building . So I had an Idea ,build my own . here is what I have so far . I've made the plugs for all the body parts . I will be doing it as a muli piece body that bolts together . I am going to try the first body by vacuum forming ,if I don't like the results I will make molds and do a fiberglass body . building just from eye no drawings but I think I have it pretty close . it has the same wheel base as a axial scx 10 but being a Jeep CJ5 it looks more like a 1/8 scale when you see it beside my trailfinder . anyway let me know what you think , any input is welcome . cheers

Attachments

RAMJETT

RCNT Rookie
This is a second TFL build that I've done this one will be using a Toyan gas engine and a HPI savage reverse module mated to a Axial aluminum 2 speed trasnfercase . It all worked out pretty slick , just doing the brakes now . I have a second Toyan engine I would like to put in my CJ5 . It would be great to have a scale class of gas crawlers ..

Attachments

RAMJETT

RCNT Rookie
have the vacuum formed parts pulled , looks nice . lost a little detail but still looks fine to me . I used .060 inch material so the body is very rigid .sorry the white parts don't show well in the pictures they are actually quite detailed . very excited about the results because it's very fast to vacuum parts .

Attachments

Last edited:

RAMJETT

RCNT Rookie
body is all assembled . goes together very easy . I propped it up on some superswampers just like my real CJ5 , looks just like my jeep on 39.5" . you can see the scale looks a bit bigger sitting beside the trailfinder
100_4249.JPG
100_4248.JPG
100_4247.JPG
100_4246.JPG
100_4245.JPG
100_4244.JPG
100_4243.JPG
100_4242.JPG
100_4241.JPG
100_4240.JPG

RAMJETT

RCNT Rookie
just machined up some headlight pots and cut some lenses from lexan . next I will do the signal lights and vacuum from some tail light housings . I've decided the best way to mount the body is to use the factory located mounts .The body is very close to scale so all I have to do is add some crossers under the body and some mounts to the side of the frame rails . I will put some big body lift blocks just like my real jeep has and side pipes that exit in front of the back wheel . My only fear is all the guys at the club are going to want one LOL. just for fun I pulled some more body parts , it's actually lots of fun , you start with nothing but some plastic sheet and in a few seconds you have a jeep part .
100_4255.JPG
100_4253.JPG
100_4251.JPG

RAMJETT

RCNT Rookie
A few more steps today, made the window hinges that include the soft door hinge pivots . also made the hood hinges , made the turn signal pots and lenses , also cut out the grill and finished it off . really starting to look like my CJ
100_4261.JPG
100_4260.JPG
100_4260.JPG
100_4259.JPG
100_4258.JPG
100_4257.JPG
100_4256.JPG

RAMJETT

RCNT Rookie
did a little work on the dash yesterday . also did the heater vent, it will be functional because the drive battery will be located in that cavity . I will be using a paralleled 6000mah 4 cell lion battery that will be placed under the dash panel . the dash panel opens when you remove the 2 windshield fold down screws and lifts out of the way . the gauges are resized pictures from my full sized CJ5 with a bit of epoxy poured over them for lenses
100_4262.JPG
100_4263.JPG
100_4264.JPG
100_4265.JPG

RAMJETT

RCNT Rookie
made the roll bar out of 5/16" brake line , soldered together with mounting flanges welded on the ends and mounted to the floor just like the real thing . It will join to a cross member that attaches to the frame ,so it will be quite functional . I am sure just like the real jeep I should be dropping the windshield down when crawling so it does not get destroyed in a roll over
100_4266.JPG
100_4267.JPG
100_4268.JPG
100_4269.JPG

RAMJETT

RCNT Rookie
little more work ,made up some tail lights, even made the little tiny side markers light up LOL . also built the tail gate , not much point vacuum forming the tail gate as it would need to be filled with wood to hold all the hinges and locks . set the body over a cou
100_4299.JPG
100_4300.JPG
100_4301.JPG
100_4302.JPG
100_4303.JPG
100_4304.JPG
100_4305.JPG
100_4306.JPG
ple sets of tires , leaning toward the super swampers .

RAMJETT

RCNT Rookie
I also like the swampers but like the blue bead locks rims more , just 5 million bead lock screws to change them over LOL. what a tedious job .

RAMJETT

RCNT Rookie
Be sure to post your new build when you get it started . I swear the kit I ordered for parts was sent my row boat LOL. I started my scratch build the same day I ordered the kit and the body is near finished .