Scratch build Savage Bobber

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunedfrog

Kermit the frog is a sissy.
Supporter
Military Veteran
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I've posted a picture of the Savage Bobber in another thread and I wanted
to buy one but I enjoy the building and in my own little world back in the shop.
I decided to scratch build the Bobber.
This is only a section of one side, it wall actually be about 10" longer with the cockpit section.
I made up a jig and put together with steel rod and I'll take it out in the morning to weld it.
This is going to be a much bigger airplane with a 50" wingspan and landing flaps.
I have a bigger motor for it already, I just need to buy the ESC.

Last edited:
I've posted a picture of the Savage Bobber in another thread and I wanted
to buy one but I enjoy the building and in my own little world back in the shop.
I decided to scratch build the Bobber.
This is only a section of one side, it wall actually be about 10" longer with the cockpit section.
I made up a jig and put together with steel rod and I'll take it out in the morning to weld it.
This is going to be a much bigger airplane with a 50" wingspan and landing flaps.
I have a bigger motor for it already, I just need to buy the esc
Hell yeah bud. That's a sweet plain that you posted up. The orange and black one rite? Thats awesome litte jig you made there.
Definitely will help you keep it all even and identical to each side. Well done, thats bad ass your able to weld those tiny pieces and those joints. Can't wait to see the progression of this build.. also

I 100% agree with you sir. Wrenching on RC's is one of the most relaxing and peaceful things to do. Especially when you get in a zone and tou realize hrs went by. Or you decide to just flat out build one from scratch and the ground up. And your able to watch it come together over the next few weeks or months.
And its the way you want it and look. And not buying off the shelf at the hobby store. And you Know you will then have to remove and replace all the crap parts from the factory. That they used to put it together with. Just so they can get them out the door and on shelf quicker. Can't wait to watch the progression of your build bud. Going to be awesome for sure.. well done sir.... HAPPY BUILDING enjoy.

Thanks bud, I really appreciate it. I will post pics along the way.
Yes, is the orange and black one. Pretty bad ass looking plane.
I started half of the wing so I'm cooking right along with it.
I put 12 hours of that today OMG. I love it though.
I waiting on the covering to finish the cup. I won't be here for a week at least.

Thanks bud, I really appreciate it. I will post pics along the way.
Yes, is the orange and black one. Pretty bad ass looking plane.
I started half of the wing so I'm cooking right along with it.
I put 12 hours of that today OMG. I love it though.
I waiting on the covering to finish the cup. I won't be here for a week at least.
Hell yeah bud thats a dam good day. Can't wait to see it built . Hell yeah it is a very cool looking plane well done and great idea building it from scratch...👍👍

Thanks bud. I could have bought it but then it would sit just like my other plane because it's too damn hot to go out.

Here is a good start on one side of the wing. This thing is going to be big.
I welded up the steel rods but my welding is pretty bad so I want to clean it up with a grinder before I post it.

Last edited:
Here is a good start on one side of the wing. This thing is going to be big.
I welded up the steel rods but my welding is pretty bad so I want to clean it up with a grinder before I post it.

View attachment 170189
Oh dam!! That's awesome bud!!! well done thats looks fantastic. The steel rods? Oh your talking about the frame for it..

I'm sure the welds are fine and look good. Considering how small the joints and welds are. You Definitely deserve props for taken on a project like that. Can't wait to see the build continue...

WELL DONE SIR and PROPS TO YOU!!! 👍👍

Wings and elevator ready to cover.

Oh dam!! That's awesome bud!!! well done thats looks fantastic. The steel rods? Oh your talking about the frame for it..

I'm sure the welds are fine and look good. Considering how small the joints and welds are. You Definitely deserve props for taken on a project like that. Can't wait to see the build continue...

WELL DONE SIR and PROPS TO YOU!!! 👍👍
No I decided against the steel rods. I have a couple nice welds on it but most of them blew out when welding. Just didn't look good at all so I am going with hardwood dowels and just brace the hell out of it.

Last edited:
Wings and elevator ready to cover.

View attachment 170274

No I decided against the steel rods. I have a couple nice welds on it but most of them blew out when welding. Just didn't look good at all so I am going with hardwood dowels and just brace the hell out of it.
Wow wings look awesome man well done sir 👍👍

Thank bud. I'm working on center wing mount, there a piece of Plexiglass that goes in there above the cockpit.
I built the wing mount and I'm going to put the plexiglass in the oven so it will form to the mount and fit perfect.

Here is a few parts built and ready to install. The rest of my material will be here tomorrow so I should have the Savage Bobber finished in a few days.
The battery box, servo mount, receiver mount and motor mount.

Last edited:
I'm sure I'll be in the shop all evening tomorrow.
I'm ready to go fly now.

I like it too. I was going to do something different with some webbing of some sort in black but it was looking Halloweenish.

Getting close, still waiting on my landing gear and then I need to hook up the linkage for the rudder and elevator.
I want to run my iron over a few rough spots to see if I can lay the covering down a little but I'm happy with it so far.

EDIT: I didn't like the way some things lined up so I am starting over with steel rod. I am soldering this time because I am
terrible at welding and all my welds pretty much blew out.
It's all good, it gets me out of my recliner.

Last edited:
Well here she is. It is a metal fuselage this time. It soldered up a lot easier than it welded.
I think I'm going to move the motor back a little bit but I'll see if she flies first.
I actually used a pill bottle for the nose.

Next on the list is a bi-plane. I already made up the ribs.

Last edited: