Chrome painting on plastic Jato top plate

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIGz_NYC

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a Jato 3.3 no I looking 2 spray paint the top plate chrome... Anyone know the best way to going about achieving this? Any help is appreciated... I was just going to get me some chrome spray paint from the hardware store. LOL

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2

That will only turn out silver, not reflective at all.

Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome rc paint, is actually reflective chrome if sprayed right. Looks just like real chrome.

You can see in the side of this lid the reflection of the blue tape on the table.

003-144.jpg

awesome... will deff look into it... thanks bro

and this should work for the top plate right... only asking cuz I see you have it on the body...

I use Pactra laquer based paints.

---------- Post added at 9:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:20 AM ----------

Sorry to rain on the parade but Spaz Stix has been discontinued for a while now.

Hmmm. I didn't know that either. That's a shame.

Good News! Spaz Stix Paints has been purchased by HRP Distributing.
Mike Starling is heading up the company. It's back and with Customer Service this time!

I believe you might be able to spray the Ultimate Mirror Chrome paint directly on the top plate and achieve a great chrome effect. However, if it is going to take some abuse or you want it to be damn near perfect, you will need to go the extra mile by laying down a primer, sanding it until it's as smooth as glass, and then spraying the Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome paint.

Post a pic when you get it done!

Additional info:
Mike Starling can be reached at spazstix @ spazstix.com www.spazstix.com
HRP Distributing can be reached at 800-622-7223. Just ask for Mike.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info guys... Going to order this week... Will post some updates as soon as I can...

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2

From the limited info I have about the chrome paint, I would suggest laying down a layer or two of some other primer first. The chrome will only be mirror if the surface it's sprayed onto is like glass, the rough texture of the plastic may show through and may not give you the mirror finish your looking for.

From the limited info I have about the chrome paint, I would suggest laying down a layer or two of some other primer first. The chrome will only be mirror if the surface it's sprayed onto is like glass, the rough texture of the plastic may show through and may not give you the mirror finish your looking for.

Absolutely. The more work you put into the prep work, the better your results will be. If you can get the surface glass smooth with no scrapes in it, it will turn out like a masterpiece!

One more thought. You could also test spray it on the plastic, and if you don't like the look of it, you could scrub it off and then try the primer with sanding.

---------- Post added 4-24-2012 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 4-23-2012 at 11:52 PM ----------

Did the price come down any? That seemed to be the killer IMO.

The price might seem to be a little high, and the mirror effect is the BEST in the WORLD! Compaired to other chrome paints, most of which are just rebranded under a ton of different names, Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome Paint wins hands down. Not only in the :first_place: Reflection department, also the Pricing for what you get :first_place:
It's also very easy to use :w00t:

chrome me.

what pactra airbrush paint will give a mirror chrome effect?

I have not used any Pactra airbrushes, so I can't tell you about those.

Look for an airbrush that is gravity fed (cup on top or to the side). The airbrushes that use the bottom feed can spit air when the paint starts to get low.

I use a .5 needle for most of the time and smaller needles for more detail. Sometimes, on bigger projects, I use a .7 needle. You can to extremely small needles if you are using Spaz Stix paint since it's viscosity is easy to work with.

I also prefer to use a double action trigger to easily control air & paint flow.

I have switched to Master Airbrush. I used to use Iwata, but replacement parts are too expensive. Tried Badger and didn't care for it as much. Might have been the type of airbrush I had. Master Airbrush is priced cheap on eBay and has a wide assortment to choose from. Also, the replacement parts are not expensive :D