Can you start a nitro with a car battery?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tivum

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Is it possible to start a nitro with A car battery?
I’m curious because I don’t want to mess up the starter or the glow plug.

glow plug is at best 1.50 volts car is 14.4 with a good battery so NO ..starter not sure what the voltage is on that

glow plug is at best 1.50 volts car is 14.4 with a good battery so NO ..starter not sure what the voltage is on that
I figured it would be the amperage that would kill it, not the voltage. I start my car on a 12v lipo normally so I know the voltage is fine, just not sure about amperage. I don't know if it has a limiter built in, my lipo at max discharge can draw 700 amps while my car is like 900.

amperage is a measure of current that is used based on the device's resistance., so having too much is not a problem and will do no harm.

My thought is that a car battery would have far too many amps and melt the plug wire instantly.

Update guys, I tried it and it worked... kinda. I started it and ran it for a bit, let it cool after a tank, then tried again and burnt up the glow plug. However I think it was because I was running it too lean and burned it out or something because I've had the same plug in it for quite a while. I'll try again tomorrow with a new plug and post the results.

Voltage is the working "push" and will be what the source is unless a regulator is used. Amperage is drawn by the component you hook up. The two work together based on its resistance of the component. A car battery is 12.6 fully charged(engine off). Glow plugs are thin wire and operate on direct to ground low resistance and as mentioned, are designed for 1.5v (1.6v for a new full charge single cell battery). 12v will push more amperage through the amount of resistance and will overheat the glow plug. If your engine starts easily, you may get one or 2 starts but the overheated plug will be weakened and most likely break from the combustion once the engine fires.

Voltage is the working "push" and will be what the source is unless a regulator is used. Amperage is drawn by the component you hook up. The two work together based on its resistance of the component. A car battery is 12.6 fully charged(engine off). Glow plugs are thin wire and operate on direct to ground low resistance and as mentioned, are designed for 1.5v (1.6v for a new full charge single cell battery). 12v will push more amperage through the amount of resistance and will overheat the glow plug. If your engine starts easily, you may get one or 2 starts but the overheated plug will be weakened and most likely break from the combustion once the engine fires.
Which is almost exactly what happened haha. The more you know.