can i put a 5.9 big block in my savage x

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know I'm going to probably kick myself but whats a good truggy...i had a hellfire, well i kinda still do, i jumped it off a big hill at lea park rodeo grounds...i found most of it

i almost bought something called a phaser once time the store in Lloydminster A.B closed up shop....the owner refunded my down payment

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

...PM?....get it off get it off.....?...whats a PM?

lol i sent u a private message... can u check it please???

---------- Post added at 9:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:57 PM ----------

it's in the top right corner.

just got off the phone with one of the guys at the LHS (300miles away) they told me the they dont have any PICCOs/BOOSTs.28s ..or novarossi. 28s.

he told me that there was some O.S .21 racing engine that they have in stock, it runs about $500, he says alot of people in edmonton A.B are putting them in thier R/Cs. he seems to think they are fast
do you guys still think I should go with the PICCOs/BOOSTs, or the nova?

as for the axials (.28RR1 and .32 spec1) he told me to run them till they explode then with any luck i can have them modded

---------- Post added at 1:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:40 PM ----------

i just wanted to see what the locals of edmonton were using, i called 2 places....and they both kinda told me the samething

---------- Post added at 1:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:43 PM ----------

he went on about how the porting was good in the O.S .21 engine, I suspect cause he said it was for racing, that it has good power

---------- Post added at 1:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:46 PM ----------

they did tell me that nobody in their store has had any expirence with them...the PICCOs/BOOSTs, or novarossi i mean

OS21's are good for buggies and on-road racing, but for an MT, you want torque. Which is what you get out of the picco 28 and LRP 28/30/32 engines.

This is for anyone that's interested

After all I've been shown/learned on this site, I've placed an order for 2 PICCO .28s

Now the question is: Should I just have them sent directly to ERCM?

Still on the fence about the novarossis, the one I was looking at was a .21 long stroke 9 port on road engine, but I don't know the difference between on-road and off-road engines.

Didn't notice if novarossi had any .28 off-road engines.

"I vow to never bash alone, I'll only bash with friends or total strangers"

On road vs offroad usually is only dictated by the cooling head. Offroad runs larger due to slower speeds, so a larger head is needed to keep the engine cool.

Aside from that, any on road engine can be used offroad and vise versa.

Guys usually look for high rpm engines for on-road, or at least for the power to pour on in the mid-high rpm range as that is where the engine spends most of it's time. Also makes a car easier to control when an engine isn't heavy on torque at low rpm's.

Thanks what would be a good idea for a low slung savage, I'm building this one for pavement use.

That nova .21 long stroke looked pretty good

What's god about 9 ports?

Typically more ports means higher rpm and less torque, less ports means lower peak rpm and more torque.

Not sure if that holds true across the board, but is what I've read.

Ok, great thanks what's a good nova engine to research?

Also, one of the guys on this forum has shown interest in my axial engines, and my stock 4.6

He wanted prices, I don't wanna rip the guy off what should I ask for
The axial .32 has a leak from the front bearing, or the shaft that sticks out of the bearing is worn out.
The axial .28 seems to run good, not as much power as my ofna engine.

The stock 4.6 has a gallon of traxxas 33% run through it, before I swapped it for the ofna, one scratch on heat sink, not from roll over from dropping a small socket wrench on it while I was doing some organizing.
I've already told him the axials were like RTR engines only nicer painted

If someone can post up, and clue me in, I'd like to make space in my hobby station
and it would make me feel good to help a fellow R/Cer

---------- Post added at 9:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:12 AM ----------

I would like something for them in return...$$?......I would even consider parts trade if the right parts came along.

Any decent on-road engine will not work in your savage because they are bump start only. It would be useless to put one in a savage because it will never see the rpm it was designed to run at because of the inefficiency of the truck platform. I would stick with the picco .28, imo it's the best monster truck engine on the market for $200.

Thanks, I've ordered a pair of the PICCO .28s
Just wasn't sure if I was going to miss out by not ordering a nova.

I've had one of those in a drawer, new in box. Bought it for a great price on this forum, but since my savage chews center drive lines for lunch and melts the centers out of spur gears with an LRP28 and my revo seems to have something slipping again with an LRP28, the picco is going to just make things worse if I run it...

Whenever I'm feeling sad though, I open the box and look at it again. Then it's all :) 's for a while.

I know your pain olds, I look at mine on the shelve almost everyday....but I tell myself wait till you can have them modded.....

That's just the thing, mine are heavily upgraded to handle the abuse... and they still couldn't handle what the picco would put out.

Would probably be best in a center diff/straight drive train vehicle... geared to the moon.

Yes you can but might I make another suggestion? I would put in an LRP .28 Spec 3 or a Picco .28 P3. They put way more power than the 5.9 by a long shot. More reliable, more power, easier to tune and last longer too. They are about the same price so you just can't go wrong with them.
I put f5.9 on my Savage and runs good and was easy to tune only thing I ran into problem was I had to raise motor mount 1/16 so bell didn't hit brake discs and I moved the gas tank out a Lil bit cuz it was pretty much touching the engine and it has great power I personally like to keep hpi parts on hpi trucks but other engines are fine

Back