can i put a 5.9 big block in my savage x

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guy told me only a half gallon has been through it so far.

So could explain to me why the os .28 or .30 is never mentioned when talking bout good quality monster truck engines

OS 30vg is an older MT big block. It's not really know for being a power house when compared to the other high end mills. I remember one member had this engine in his Savage, less then a gollon through it nd he was not too happy about how it performed. That engine wasn't fully broken in either so maybe thats why is wasn't showing it's true potential. That particular mill been out for a number of years now and I feel like it just kind of faded out when compared to what the competition has to offer.

Ok what are those ones made of (O.S)

---------- Post added at 9:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:19 PM ----------

So if a PICCO and an LRP are good engines for a budget then what's on the menu if a person wants to play with money...

---------- Post added at 9:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:24 PM ----------

If the axials a are a bad deal can I send them away for modding...will it help.
I've read good things about ERCM stuff

I run a 2 savage x's now one with the lrp.30 other lrp.32, very pleased wit the 30, 32 just hasnt came around for me yet, picked up the xl a couple days ago so I'm back to the drawing board again lol. Running the nova .28 7t clocked in a truggy and it screams so stuck between the rotor start nova or picco for the xl either way it will be modded any suggestions @ EH23

---------- Post added at 9:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:29 PM ----------

@Alex Being new myself, I asked the same question and eventually found out those modded mills makes a big difference as long as you read these tuning guides the guys wit experience has already posted, but my cheaper mills like my xtm seems to be holding up just fine but the performance dont compare to the modified ones. I did notice my more pricey os and nova mills took longer to break in but was easier as far getting them to idle right in the beginning of the breakin. Keep in mind I'm a rookie so double check my opinions, lol really, to see if its any truth to it.

Ok what are those ones made of (O.S)

---------- Post added at 9:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:19 PM ----------

So if a PICCO and an LRP are good engines for a budget then what's on the menu if a person wants to play with money...

---------- Post added at 9:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:24 PM ----------

If the axials a are a bad deal can I send them away for modding...will it help.
I've read good things about ERCM stuff

Whoa there guy hold up a sec lol. Axial engines are the same as a RTR units, bottom of the pole... A step above that would be any offer from LRP, a little bit more money but way better quality and good power to match. The Picco is a top top tier engine, simple the best, nothing budget about it!!! If u want to throw more money at it u always have the option of sending it off to Robin at ERCM and have him work his magic for u. That's one hell of BEAST engine right there...

---------- Post added at 7:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:57 PM ----------

I run a 2 savage x's now one with the lrp.30 other lrp.32, very pleased wit the 30, 32 just hasnt came around for me yet, picked up the xl a couple days ago so I'm back to the drawing board again lol. Running the nova .28 7t clocked in a truggy and it screams so stuck between the rotor start nova or picco for the xl either way it will be modded any suggestions @ EH23

---------- Post added at 9:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:29 PM ----------

@Alex Being new myself, I asked the same question and eventually found out those modded mills makes a big difference as long as you read these tuning guides the guys wit experience has already posted, but my cheaper mills like my xtm seems to be holding up just fine but the performance dont compare to the modified ones. I did notice my more pricey os and nova mills took longer to break in but was easier as far getting them to idle right in the beginning of the breakin. Keep in mind I'm a rookie so double check my opinions, lol really, to see if its any truth to it.

I'm sure if u talk to Neal again he's gonna suggest another Clocked Nova, which we all know is a bad ass mill for sure :whhooo:

For that exact reason right there why not try one of Neal's Clocked Picco Boost for the XL???

A Clocked Nova and a Clocked Picco Boost... Nuff said bro, that's the best money can buy... U sir will for sure have one bad ass arsenal with those two modded mills.

I'm a little late on this here but I have an x 4.6 and I replaced my engine with a 5.9. I only did it caus I love hpi and wanted to keep my savage all hpi... Hudge mistake. It's been nothing but problems since I did it. And I'm not new the nitros. It's just not worth what I spent when compared to what I could of gotten. Def go with the advice these guys are giving.

I've sent this robin fellow an email already.

So, the axial engines are bad?, I got them off a welder that was working with our crew, how much did he pull one over on me, I got them both for a sir robert, is it even worth sending them out for modding.....I still have the stock engine, it's still new, I replaced it with a ofna engine that I salvaged out of a friends truggy,.....(a half ton pick up ran over it in a parking lot).....he was devastated, I got an engine and truggy parts for $50, score!

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Ok , so the PICCOs are the way to go?,hmm. If the LHS (300miles away) has them in stock what's a couple of them worth....or should I try eBay, or some other website?
Should I use them before sending them out for modding?

Yes Axial engines are garbage, .32rr, .28rr, K4.6/HO K5.9 all of them...

Don't quote me on this but I don't think Robin will even mod an Axial engine...

If I was u, I would just sell all the mills u have there and put the money toward an LRP .28, .30 .30x or .32.

Picco's and Nova's aren't for the faint of heart, get familiar with the LRP's then move on to the higher quality Italian mills.

I put the axial .28RR1 in my savage......we'll call it savage x(A) for the moment, well I tried both engines and the axial .32 leaks from the front bearing I just had to see what I bought, and ya the .28RR1 seems less powerful than the ofna engine it took out, I have one pic in my profile if anyone wants to see the truck with the axial .28RR1.....the parts list is in my introduce yourself thread

Dood can u just order an engine of ur choice through the mail from an online retailer? Why does it have to be through the LHS? There nothing they can get for u that u can't find online for ur self... I've found some really good prices online. I'll help with finding something, just sayin man I can't stand the guys at my LHS lolol.

Are you sure, cause I'm on the hobbwholesale website looking for PICCOs now.....whats a NOVA......wanna buy an axial engine?

What's a genesis 7.7?.....should I bother

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Are you sure, cause I'm on the hobbwholesale website looking for PICCOs now.....whats a NOVA......wanna buy an axial engine?

What's a genesis 7.7?.....should I bother, and I also klicked my heels together three times and said I can't stand the guys at my local hobby store ?....did it have to be done in front of a mirror...or is my wife just a nerd

On the last page I posted two EBay links for two different sellers with Picco P3's, that's ur best bet to finding a new picco for CHEAP.

Novarossi. Another high end Italian engine manufacture.

Hell no...

Again hell nooooo lol I thought CEN went out of business?

---------- Post added at 8:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:26 PM ----------

??????

The genesis 7.7 was on the table at a yard sale my grandmother had me drive her to. I almost bought it ($40)...didn't know what it was for so I left it alone.

And great I see the links

Wow cheap lol.

Yea peep out those links for the P3.

Amain Hobbies coupon codes:
CALPMAY513 ($5 off orders of $100-149.99)
CALPMAY1213 ($12 off orders $150-249.99)
CALPMAY2513 ($25 off orders $250+)

Pick an engine, add it to ur cart then apply the coupon code and voila!!!

Hope that helps buddy, let us know what engine ur gonna go with :)

Ok, so PICCO .28s, or novas it is.

I still want a working .32, and nobodies told me why bigger isn't better when buying an engine.

What's bigger than a .32, and a quality product

There's a pic on my profile of what I want to use the engines for

The bigger engines don't have nearly enough rpm and power up top, u'll have a lot of power down low for pulling stumps and what not lol great for bashing tho. If u want a .32 look at the LRP .32, that's an awesome engine for bashing around the yard, jumping ect.

---------- Post added at 9:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:56 PM ----------

Just a heads up bro ur truck will run a lot better with those 40 series tires u have in that pic instead of those jumbo MT tires. Yea u should deff look into the LRP .32, I think that will fit the bill perfectly for what u intend on doin with ur truck.

thanks seen those jumbo kongs on the shelf at a going out of business sale at the LHS that was 1\2 hr from my house...$45 a set pre assembled, i also got perfect and imperfect see through pool balls

what I d like to do is make the whole machine more nimble and over all faster....do you all think the savages can race truggies....all my buds have a buggies this and a truggies that...one guy has a muggy?

U can make it fast nd nimble, thats gonna require lcg tvp's big bire shocks ect. At the end of the day it's still a Savage nd the truggy still a truggy lol theres a reason why MT racing fadded out, buggies nd truggies dominate at the tracks.

Question for u tho, where did u get those 40 series Bow Tie's?!

same place i picked up the jumbo kongs, i did read something about them being hard to find (theyre 24mm)....if the 40s are extinct what are people using for racing now?.....i have other sets of 40s but theyre un assembled...still in the pro-line package

Back