can i put a 5.9 big block in my savage x

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmaster

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have the stock savage x with the stock 4.6 motor and its had about 2 gallons of gas through it so I'm thinking about trading up should i get a 5.9 a 4.6 high output or a 4.6 like the original

Yes you can but might I make another suggestion? I would put in an LRP .28 Spec 3 or a Picco .28 P3. They put way more power than the 5.9 by a long shot. More reliable, more power, easier to tune and last longer too. They are about the same price so you just can't go wrong with them.

but i can get the 5.9 for 179 with the engine exchange program

Honestly, it's worth it to spend a bit more and get one of the two frickenjoey suggested. The 5.9 is a known dog of an engine.

$179 for a dog
$167 for the LRP28 (-$12): http://www.rcplanet.com/Associated_LRP_Z_Spec_W_Pull_p/asclrp32802.htm
$189 for the LRP30 (+$10): http://www.rcplanet.com/Associated_ZR_30_Spec_2_Pull_Start_p/asclrp32810.htm
$199 for the Picco (+$20): http://www.rcplanet.com/Ofna_28_Picco_Pull_Start_Nitro_Engine_p/ofn51232.htm

I have two of the LRP28's. One in my savage and one in my aftershock. Both are stump puller engines that wheelie with ease with gearing that makes top speed tough to handle. The picco is a bit more powerful and refined and I'd probably try one if I needed a BB for something.

It's your money, but I'd at least think about the LRP28. WIth shipping, your pretty much even (or less) and have a heck of an engine.

EDIT:
Found better prices on the LRP's.

Last edited:
This is good info to know. I just bought a used savage X about a week ago. It needs a new engine and a coulpe other small things. My budget at this time dictates that I get the 4.6. However someday down the road I'll be looking to upgrade.

which one of those motors would last the longest and have the best power ?

I don't know first hand, but probably the picco.

Both of my LRP's are at 4-5 gallons and run very strong. Can still feel a solid mechanical pinch with the glow plug out of them. Wouldn't be surprised if I got 8+ out of them before a pinch was needed.

if you are stuck between the lrp and the picco... i'd personally go for the picco. billet piston, and overall better quality.

I also have a hpi savage with no motor, think I am going to get one of the motors you mentioned above.

But will I have to change out my 2 speed trans for this motor, or will it be ok?

I would go with the LRP engines. If your wanting to upgrade your savage I would go with the LRP .32 or the .30 spec 2. My buddy had the K5.9 on his savage X it ran good. When it crapped out he opted for the LRP.32 and it would stomp the crap outta the 5.9. I know someone is going to raise the fuel consumption issue but if your thinking of going with the 5.9 then I doubt fuel consumption is the last thing your worried about.

K5.9 sucks balls and $179 isn't a deal at all... If ur only on 2 gallons why not just keep the trusty F.6? Out of the other engines listed Picco .28 hands down, only if ur experienced tho. The best price on a Picco P3 is from Absolute Hobbies on EBay, I've seen him let one go for $170.00... If ur fairly new to nitro and tuning and want something better then the RTR mill look into something from LRP, anything from the LRP .28 to the LRP .32, that's a real torque monster. I also like the SH.28, great budget mill, make a lot of power and it's cheap!

Well I got the savage x with no motor for free! So I picked up a picco .28 P3 for $45. Figured couldn't go wrong wit that. I'm concerned about my 2 speed trans though. I'm hoping it can Handel it. I'm new to this hobby so have no clue what I'm doing. But for that price how can I say no. Even if I don't like the motor I can still pick up a new one. Any suggestions?? Or any other things I should get?

Keep the 2 speed, if the .28 runs good, for 45 bux i would run it till it popped then buy something else, all the engines listed above are top notch and make huge power, can't go wrong with either.

Dam 45 bucks hella deals!!! Do u know how much fuel wasran through it? Nice find too on the truck nd the Picco. Ur two speeds fine, dont worry about replacing anything till u acually get a chance to run the truck.

Last edited:
in my opinion the F 4.6 is a fine RTR motor. the LRP's and picco's are very popular with monster truck guys. Lrp is a great motor its fairly easy to tune, makes very good power and speed. Picco p3 is one of the few top dogs. if you buy one, plan on a very long break-in as they are made of quality parts and it takes 1-2 gallons before its fully broke-in and you see full performance out of it.
another option is the losi 454, its a rtr motor but i have heard its a re-badged lrp 28 and they can be had for less than $150 on ebay

Is it possible to get the p3 or is the picco boost the same. I've never been able to find the p3.

Picco updated the classic .28 with a turbo button/pull start combo and carried it over to the Boost line up which is there flagship line up of nitro engines. Think of it like this, the Boost .28 is the newer current version of the tried and true P3 .28. Ofna was the former Picco US distributor, the last P3's came in through them. Ofna no longer carry Picco engines or parts. Triton RC is the new Picco distributor and they import the Boost .28's to the US.
Again the Boost .28 is essentially the same as the P3, just an updated version with a new style cooling head, updated carb with longer needles and a finned turbo button. Some the part numbers for the internals are different, that's probably due to Picco altering the timing profiles ever so slightly but still the same motor, 2012 spec .28...

DSC00558_zps9734f8bd.jpg

If u want a P3 get it from Absolute Hobbies on EBay, seen them go for as low as $170.00...

---------- Post added at 8:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:30 AM ----------

Last one left... Somebody make him an offer before the last of the P3's are gone...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360646066404?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

---------- Post added at 8:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:36 AM ----------

More right here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ofna-Pi...adio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item338188d8d1

Last edited:
So how good are the LRPs, and the PICCOs. Just wondering cause I picked up some axial engines, a .32 spec1, and a .28 RR1, just wondering if they LRPs and the PICCOs are worth throwing on my shopping list. I only make a run to my LHS 4 times a year cause it's 300 miles away. If anyone could let me know how the engines compare that would be awesome.

---------- Post added at 5:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:40 PM ----------

So if I wanted a bigger engine than the 5.9, where could I start looking..... does bigger engine equal more available power.......I'm not against modding a chassis to fit an engine.

---------- Post added at 5:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:52 PM ----------

So if I wanted a bigger engine than the 5.9, where could I start looking..... does bigger engine equal more available power.......I'm not against modding a chassis to fit an engine.

Unless the rule for the high speed run is something like must have nitro engine compatible with standard 1/8 chassis.

Anythings better then the Axial engines, there not that great, just run of the mill rtr engines...

U dont need anything bigger then the 5.9, bigger isn't always better. A .28 sized engine has more then enough power for a monster truck.

LRP's are great engines, they're available in 4 different flavors so u can choose the right one that fits ur needs best.

Picco .28's are regarded as one of the best, if not THE BEST big block MT engines out there. Build quality is second to none... Billet piston, swiss bearings ect. made from super high quality materials, it's one of those "u get what u pay for" kind of things.

YouTube has tons of vids on all the engines mentioned in this thread, go check'em out!

Back