Buying batteries during the winter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punk

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I want to order some RC car lipo batteries, but it's freezing in Colorado. Should I worry about the packs being frozen during shipping? I read on the battery data sheet that the packs should not be frozen or it could damage them. Is this something that has been addressed somewhere or am I over thinking it.

Actually your concerns are the opposite, it's much safer to buy your batteries in the winter opposed to the summer. I can't tell you how many stories I've read about people receiving brand new batteries in the mail that the packs were swollen because they were shipped in extreme heat:
https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

1701019307449.png

Actually your concerns are the opposite, it's much safer to buy your batteries in the winter opposed to the summer. I can't tell you how many stories I've read about people receiving brand new batteries in the mail that the packs were swollen because they were shipped in extreme heat:
https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

View attachment 175797
Wow, I never really thought about the other side of the temperature range during shipping and all. So many deals going on the winter, I would guess many people probably restock during this time of year, which like you stated, is actually better for the cells. Looks like black friday priced batteries are back on the menu, my wife is gonna love it. Thanks for your input.

PS. I put this in buggy instinctively, I'm building a stock class losi 22 5.0 elite at the moment, no expense spared.

For a stock class I would invest in the highest quality battery that offers the lowest possible IR and to pump your batteries if you want to get an advantage, more info here:

I want to order some RC car lipo batteries, but it's freezing in Colorado. Should I worry about the packs being frozen during shipping? I read on the battery data sheet that the packs should not be frozen or it could damage them. Is this something that has been addressed somewhere or am I over thinking it.
As Bill said your lipos wont get damaged from cold during shipping unless maybe you live at the north pole or something. What will damage them is charging and discharging them when temps are below freezing.

As Bill said your lipos wont get damaged from cold during shipping unless maybe you live at the north pole or something. What will damage them is charging and discharging them when temps are below freezing.
Got my batteries last night and it was pretty cold out, they felt like ice cubes. Got them all thawed out now and will be testing them soon.