Buying a Red Cat Racing lightning STR

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estep64

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello, I'm going to be buying a Red Cat Racing lightning STR, does anyone have any advice for me, and what kind of mods can i get for this car?

I have it but in the exp pro version. I don't think it needs upgraded except for the wheels, the rims crack extremely easy. I was doin about 50 mph and rolled the car into a tree and I cracked the body and nothing else. These cars come with aluminium and cvds which is all it is going to need.

I wouldnt buy from red cat alot of my friendsay they are made cheap. Buy thunder tiger from tower hobbies they are cheap and reliable i have alot of cars from them only one i have a problem with is my thunder tiger tomahawk vx touring car.

I have 2 red cat cars and i haven't broke any of them(i bash very hard, I jump of 15ft high dirt hills with my friends slash and he breaks alot of stuff) redcat racing is very reliable.

I have 2 red cat cars and i haven't broke any of them(i bash very hard, I jump of 15ft high dirt hills with my friends slash and he breaks alot of stuff) redcat racing is NOT very reliable.

Fixed, stay away from Redcat, I have heard NOTHING but bad about them. And as far as upgrades, your cutting it pretty slim to none.

I would stick with a "hobby grade" company such as HPI, Traxxas, Associated, Kyosho etc..

Tmaxxman58, you make me chuckle...

About one in five redcat owners post about how they are tough as nails. This holds true when reading reviews. The bad reviews are all the same. Brittle composites that break if you look at em wrong.

I know that there are exceptions and Redcat does have a few good models out there. I have no doubt in my mind. I'm gonna bet that their onroads are alot easier to keep in one peace too.

I honestly wouldn't pass one up for the right price. I just could never recommend one to a beginner. Not when 2wd Slashes and Pedes go for around $200 new.

I dont know why people diss redcat. They ARE truly reliable and if they "arent" then for a lot of redcat models accept and are easy to install aftermarket parts from different companIes ex. HPI, HSP, Team Infiniti...etc. never had a serious problem or damage with my redcat lighting. Love that car but the only thing thats bad about it is the cheesy rims, that do crack easily.

I wouldnt recommended one for a beginner, because they can be difficult to tune and easy to break parts on them. I would recommended a traxxas only for beginners, those cheap overseas companies can sell them cheap but theyre a b*tch to work, tune and repair on.

I've had the lightening exp pro it was fast and I put it through hell!!! Jumpin off of the plastic bicycle ramps. And I didnt break anything. Also had very good luck with the earthquake!!! For $329 brand new you get a brushless 4x4 and 2 2s 3200 lipo batteries!!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

i have a redcat along with a few others my outlook ...
speed-no
take a hit-yes
parts pop off or jam-yes
flimsy-yes
junk-depends

personaly i think with better shocks (stock are crap) new wheels and tires(stock is crap) and a body and stiffer body posts ull be fine

i got mine for my wife so it was cheap and al around it get the job done for where with my 4tec i broke 2 belts 1 arm and a carb and beat it all to hell all her car did (being redcat) was ran out of gas she flipped it smashed it into mine and hit it off a tree nothing to bad happened