Help with steering

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taugy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the RC world I bought a red cat thunder drift awhile back, I’m having issues with steering, no matter what I adjust the wheels won’t go back straight, my front left steer wobbles, I ordered a new knuckle and bearing set, could that be the issue or could it be the servo?

servo.wobble wheel more than likely bad bearing. servo wont center .servo is going

When trying to diagnose steering issues, I always disconnect the linkage from the servo in order to feel any resistance/binding while using fingers to move things (steering). A lot of "drifters" have extreme steering angles while using CV joints. Worn parts contributing to wobble and steering centering? While servo is disconnected from the linkage, it would be a great time to test it with radio and look/feel for centering issue that may be caused by worn/broken teeth on the spline or gears inside of servo.

When trying to diagnose steering issues, I always disconnect the linkage from the servo in order to feel any resistance/binding while using fingers to move things (steering). A lot of "drifters" have extreme steering angles while using CV joints. Worn parts contributing to wobble and steering centering? While servo is disconnected from the linkage, it would be a great time to test it with radio and look/feel for centering issue that may be caused by worn/broken teeth on the spline or gears inside of servo.
I ended up doing just that, the servo was definitely going out, I’m not surprised as it was a cheap replacement from Amazon for my original one, I appreciate the reply and advice!!

I'll try your suggestions as well, Rusty, as I've been having steering issues with my Rustler. It hardly turns left and I suspect there should be more right as well. Funny thing is that it seems fine on the stand, but on the ground it's not. Any additional thoughts appreciated.

I'll try your suggestions as well, Rusty, as I've been having steering issues with my Rustler. It hardly turns left and I suspect there should be more right as well. Funny thing is that it seems fine on the stand, but on the ground it's not. Any additional thoughts appreciated.
Do you notice the issue at all speeds?
Does it make a difference if you’re on or off the throttle?
If you provide a little bit of resistance by hand to the wheels turning, do they feel the same both ways?

So here's the upshot on this: I noticed a sloppy tie rod ball end, so I ordered a set of replacements. But then, under extremely careful analysis of the bellcranks I spotted that the left side servo saver was junk. Mushed. So I ordered and today received a new bellcrank assembly. The instructions that came from the Traxxas assembly were INcorrect and it cost me easily an hour to figure it out! The exploded views on the website are correct, and different. It's raining too hard to test here in the NE today but early indications are that this is fixed. I will mud bash tomorrow for sure.

Back