Built in glow plug igniter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-alec

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
:idea: I want to make a glow plug igniter that stays attached to the engine at all times. And it will also have a basic on/off switch so it does not waste power when it is not in use. It should probaly be powered by a rechargeble battery somehow so I can recharge it and not waste battery's :shrug: -xmas-

-Alec

My Sport SE has something like that, not sure how it works.

Well the Sport SE has an auto start feature, there is an electric motor to turn over the nitro motor and a built in glow plug ignitor. You plug in a 7.2 reghargable battery and push the button and fire it up.

my t-maxx has that to but the glow plug wire is always breaking so i wound up using a regular glow igniter. So i want to make a built in one that has its own power source.

Any suggestions???

Last edited:
Hmm.... well, if you wanted to, you could go get a single AA battery holder from radio shack and use that. Take the blue wire and put it on the positive side of your battery and splice into the yellow wire and put that on the negative side of your battery. That should make the plug heated as long as the blue wire is attatched to the plug.

I haven't tested this out, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Go give it a shot, it'll cost you less than a buck for a single AA battery holder.

Ohh yeah, but remember. Making your plug heated all the time is only putting a Band-Aid® on the bigger problem of not having your engine tuned right in the first place.

hes not wanting to make it always on he wants to make it so he flips a switch and the plug glows

and then start the engine and trun it off

so its not wasting power

its kinda hard to do cuz u need something that u can remove so that u can change your plug but if you get it figured out let me know

This should work excellent if you dont mind the weight of it. A 1.2 volt nicad sub C cell should work great. Take a nice little switch. Wire the negative of the battery to the block of the engine (just loosen a mount screw and stick it in there and tighten it.

Take the positive of the battery and go to one side of the switch. The other side should go to the glow plug. So when you flip the switch the red wire completes the circuit through the glow plug.

Okay I wish I had pics of this but it already went away...take your T-maxx starter and rip it apart to get the wiring from inside....replace the Reverse Servo w/ a small hitec one for a micro RC.....and replace the pushbutton switch from the EZ Starter w/ a radio shack switch....mount the switch next to the steering servo w/ the new radio shack switch on top of the steering servo (you have to make a connection linkage w/ turnbuckles or allthread...cheap stuff to get).....you need to move your RX battery under the RX.... there are mounts that you can buy to do this.....then strap the 7.2 V battery...( you will have to custom make one in a super hump config and it will still hang over the edge a little) where the old RX batery box was.....wire the new radio shack switch into the same circuit as the old push button was in use your 3rd channel to fire the circuit....I helped a friend make this monstrocity and it was very funny to just sit back and start it up from a distance.....it kills batteries quick and it seems to fry glowplugs too...but it was funny as hell and really didn't take long to make...about 30 mins. from start to finish....I did the truck and my friend did the Battery so figure an hour...

Oh yeah and this makes your truck weigh a ton.....not for the racers!!!

cool, but if it burns glow plugs, and uses batteries fast unless you have a big one then I'm not going to do it cause I am going to get a good engine and get into racing probaly.

My friend did this on his Nitro RS4 MT. He used 2 AA batteries going to an on/off switch like the onw for your radio, then atttached one end to a washer (the one that goes under the plug) and the other to the top. Works like a charm.

He put one on my RS4 3 SS too, before I sold it.

It actually burned plugs and killed Batts cause his tuning sucked....he'd sit there with it on for a min at a time rather than figure out why it wouldn't start right away.....

still not good for racing though

well the way youll did it was a remote start system which isnt bad but is asking for alot of weight

with what he was talking about was something so that he didnt have to put the glow ignitor on every time he had to start it

now that he got the idea out I'm going to do it to my st and see how well it works.

I have seen a few for airplanes that one your throttle is below 1/4 ... or something like that the glow igniter would turn on. Maybe you might be able to take of of those glow igniters and hook it up to a 3rd servo and when it is at 0 is it on and when it at 100 it is off ... just a idea.

Back