Building a course in my backyard

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikegigabyte

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So about 15 min away from here is a wasteland of debris and rocks right on the border. I went yesterday and collected a small amount, I see I need alot more now.

Here is my first attempt with my first rock crawler. Any tips on building a course. I used concrete blocks under a area of rocks to make a hill, that way I dont have to use up the rocks. I'm also thinking of digging a small hole to put rocks in, and maybe buying some small river rock or gravel to simulate a river bed, and to give it a different texture. The rocks in my pic are as big as they get for free. I also have the choice of broken concrete rocks but I like the look of real rocks. I'm planning on making this huge but it going to take alot of work to get the rocks as some of them I have to beat out of the ground for the bigger ones.

The truck goes up almost every part so far, I want to make a huge hill to make it more difficult.

Pic from last night, pitch black crappy pic
IMG_0044.jpg

Pic from today
IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Looks like a good start!

Looks good but not much traction it looks like. The concrete chunks are fun to use.

Actually the rocks are pretty grippy, my weak link is my dirt. When I go throught it the dirt is very dusty and slick, and it coats the tire and reduces traction alot. Its so fine it makes your fingers slippery. Once I get it all figured out I'm going to do pea gravel or some small stone around it to drive on instead of the dirt.

I got more rocks and made it bigger, and I'm going back to make it deeper. I made a hill and a curve with a cliff in the back. Only took me 1/2 hr total to get the rocks so it doesn't take long to get them.

Later this week I will try to do a video of it

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

Looks like ur off to a very nice start on ur course, I wish I had that much rock in my backyard, LOL!!!!!

Just added another load of rocks. Next load I will follow the fence more and maybe dig out a hole and line with rocks. I scored some really big rocks and put them in the back. Still is very small and I plan on making it bigger and wider. My dad also has the same truck so I have someone to compete against. When its bigger I will make some course markers to follow. I wish I had better dirt I would like to make a hill with dirt and place in rocks for a more real look.

I can get broken concrete pieces from the same place but I use these rocks because I want my backyard to look decent and sort of natural. Its in a dead area under a pine tree next to my shed so this sort of makes the area look nicer.

I am using stock tires but I've added full weights to the front and a few weights to the rear wheels. I aslo have taken out the tire foam because it seemed to stiff to me and now the tire is alot softer to help conform to the surface. I also moved all radio gear to the rear and battery up front. Changed shock oil to 50w. Also have those bent lower bars and they really help for clearance. Just got this truck on friday and really enjoy it, especially inside the house.

I still have at least 20 feet to the right I could go and about 10 to where I took the photo. Ideally I would like to have the whole area set up as one big course.
IMG_0066.jpg

Got alot more rocks, and dug out a valley and used the dirt to make a bigger hill. I think I'm done with the rocks, maybe make a wood bridge or something with logs from my pine tree. Still may add gravel to the outside border.
Will be marking the course soon, found alot of good areas to crawl and even the steep ones work out. I tried to take a video of it, but the sun was at a very low angle and even though I have a $1500 camcorder I can't afford a wide angle lens so I can't get enough in the video with the camera so far away. I'm waiting for someone to bring back my old one that has many lens's for it. I took some pics but again the sun was very low so they didnt turn out so great.

PB250742.jpg

PB250761.jpg

Looking good bro.

That's the great thing about the MRC: you don't need a lot of material or room to make a fun crawling course. Have fun out there!

That a cool idea to play to get some friends over and have a little comp. with some friends. I have started a course and just havent finished it yet. but now it makes me want to finish.

Looks good! its a rock crawling course and nice landscape!

Made a crappy video

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tore up my course. Re did it like a trail. Around 30 feet long total. Put up wood as a separator and walls to hold back rocks. Little over 2 feet wide. Nicer setup from before. I'm still planning on adding a log bridge made from my pine tree going across the dirt area.

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

Looks good. WOW looks like you have upgraded the mini quite a bit!

Back