Buggy or Truggy for racing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fafis

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello guys. I have recently joined the hype of rc racing and bashing. I found out that I have 2 dirt tracks in my area and went out to visit them. They are mostly made from fans of the sport and not by professional hand but they are ok. I have seen mostly buggies running and I also run my friend's Typhon there. I was pleased by the Arrma Typhon but not too much. I was searching the web to try and figure out which is best for racing and bashing Buggy or Truggy and most of my research is leaning towards the Truggy but I need your experience also. I found out The Arrma Talion and almost fell in love with it from the first sight but it is discontinued in Europe and Backorder in US. That really bummed me because I thought it was exactly my style of driving. Do you have something to recommend me that is close to Talion or something better? I really prefer RtR because my line of work doesn't offer me much free time for a kit or the money to invest in kit. I know that there is Kraton too that is Truggy and similar to Talion but I haven't heard or read the best things for it about racing.
Sorry for the long post but I am new to this.

Whats more popular at the track is going to change from area to area. Buggies and Truggies are both very popular overall. If you're actually wanting to be competitive racer then I would look at Losi, AE, or Mugen imho. Hotbodies and Tekno usually have some competitive kits too.

If you're just wanting to bash it around a track then whatever will work. In terms of bashing buggies are a little more durable but Truggies have a little better clearance and bigger tires. Either way you go I'm sure you'll like it :)

Whats more popular at the track is going to change from area to area. Buggies and Truggies are both very popular overall. If you're actually wanting to be competitive racer then I would look at Losi, AE, or Mugen imho. Hotbodies and Tekno usually have some competitive kits too.

If you're just wanting to bash it around a track then whatever will work. In terms of bashing buggies are a little more durable but Truggies have a little better clearance and bigger tires. Either way you go I'm sure you'll like i

If you're just wanting to bash it around a track then whatever will work. In terms of bashing buggies are a little more durable but Truggies have a little better clearance and bigger tires. Either way you go I'm sure you'll like it :)
Thanks for the response. As I said in my post I don't have either the time or the budget to get a losi or AE kit and build it. That's why I wanted to go for an RTR. I wanted to get Talion but it is discontinued in Europe so I am after something similar but not Kraton or Reevo because they are too big and will damage the track we are running. I am currently watching HOBAO SSE and other similar models of HOBAO and the ARRMA TYPHON. But the ARRMA TYPHON I already have tested from a friend of mine and beside the good durability it has it doesn't offer much better things than the HOBAO's buggies and the price is much better. The tracks I have near me has two jump's tops and 10 turns. But the overall it is a bit bumpy ride.

Thanks for the response. As I said in my post I don't have either the time or the budget to get a losi or AE kit and build it. That's why I wanted to go for an RTR. I wanted to get Talion but it is discontinued in Europe so I am after something similar but not Kraton or Reevo because they are too big and will damage the track we are running. I am currently watching HOBAO SSE and other similar models of HOBAO and the ARRMA TYPHON. But the ARRMA TYPHON I already have tested from a friend of mine and beside the good durability it has it doesn't offer much better things than the HOBAO's buggies and the price is much better. The tracks I have near me has two jump's tops and 10 turns. But the overall it is a bit bumpy ride.
I get that you said you were on a budget and wanted an RTR which is why I said if all you're looking to do it play around on a track then anything will work. I only added the kits/brands in there so youd know that if your intention is to race and be competitive then you're going to need something along those lines. The OFNA Hyper SSTe is a cheaper race worthy truggy kit that may be along the lines of what you're looking for. Losi also makes RTR buggy and truggy packages but they are about $150 more than the ARRMA ones. IDK what else to suggest without going in to the el cheapo quality stuff which I wouldnt recommend to anyone, especially someone just getting in to the hobby.

I get that you said you were on a budget and wanted an RTR which is why I said if all you're looking to do it play around on a track then anything will work. I only added the kits/brands in there so youd know that if your intention is to race and be competitive then you're going to need something along those lines. The OFNA Hyper SSTe is a cheaper race worthy truggy kit that may be along the lines of what you're looking for. Losi also makes RTR buggy and truggy packages but they are about $150 more than the ARRMA ones. IDK what else to suggest without going in to the el cheapo quality stuff which I wouldnt recommend to anyone, especially someone just getting in to the hobby.
Thanks for the suggestions. My budget is around 650$. In the long run I may pursue a kit but because I have heard that they are a bit weaker on the durability test first I want to learn how to drive and how to better control the car to avoid extra costs of bad driving due to inexperience. I will look into the Hyper SSTe. Thanks again for your help.

the ofna is a 2015 so will it have parts?. Id go with a more recent make.. nothing beats track time. and f your running a dirt track I think you will want to have more than 1 set of tires as the track dries out or if the water it mid race.

on a outdoor track to be id stay with a 4x4 .but know what classes you have at a track..

If you don't really mind having a 2wd, they are much more affordable than 4x4s. Other than the Typhon, what buggies/trucks do locals run?
They mostly run Typhon and some hyper. Others come to the track with nitro's and few X Maxxx which really destroy the track. It's an open for everyone track.

I found out that there is a cheaper Typhon model. The 3s V3 that has 350$. I probably going to buy this one and upgrade it slowly. I have heard it has great durability and handles pretty good. It's a 2020 model. Does anyone has an opinion on that RC?

the ofna is a 2015 so will it have parts?. Id go with a more recent make.. nothing beats track time. and f your running a dirt track I think you will want to have more than 1 set of tires as the track dries out or if the water it mid race.
Its the one and only offering OFNA has in 1/8 truggies so it is the most current.

They mostly run Typhon and some hyper. Others come to the track with nitro's and few X Maxxx which really destroy the track. It's an open for everyone track.
Here I found this for you. Its under your budget, RTR, and a decent brand.

https://www.hobbytown.com/serpent-s...-electric-truggy-ser600039/p-xqhcscgqzqabg4yz

Guys Thanks a lot for your suggestions and tips. I just got my first RC and it's the ARRMA Typhon 3s V3 of 2020. I just did a small run in the backyard and feels great. Tommorow i will go to the Dirt Track and will try it there. I will tell you the results as soon as i got back and i will try to post some photos too.
Thanks again for the tips.

Guys Thanks a lot for your suggestions and tips. I just got my first RC and it's the ARRMA Typhon 3s V3 of 2020. I just did a small run in the backyard and feels great. Tommorow i will go to the Dirt Track and will try it there. I will tell you the results as soon as i got back and i will try to post some photos too.
Thanks again for the tips.
Awesome! Glad you found one to enjoy :)

I was searching the web to try and figure out which is best for racing and bashing Buggy or Truggy and most of my research is leaning towards the Truggy but I need your experience also.

A well rebuild 1/8 alu buggy chassis and you will be able to follow a normal race pace at the end of a season.
At our local carpet track, we have a bit of everything; TLR, RTR, Arrma, EA, kit 1/5,...
For me, I just love to challenge all those Truggy with my buggy.

IMG_34dd80.jpg

I am hurry to go there on every saturday morning... Absolute addiction.
note; my son is running a rebuild 3s Typhoon and he's surprising on track.

That's the beauty I got. View attachment 127728
I went to the track and run. It runs amazing. Got my jump's up and high and my turns clean and sharp.
Congrats, with some proper race tyres you'll improve the traction so much, get a hold of some buggy setup sheets online from Losi, Tekno, Mugen, ect and try to set you car up in a similar way. You'll find just lowering your car to a race height will give you a lot better control. Things like tuning the shocks and diffs will give you so much more traction and driveability.

Some of the settings aren't going to be compatible, but the diff fluids, shock fluids, ride height, camber, and toe will be good starting points. This setup sheet is for a medium traction, loose, surface.
setup.png

Congrats, with some proper race tyres you'll improve the traction so much, get a hold of some buggy setup sheets online from Losi, Tekno, Mugen, ect and try to set you car up in a similar way. You'll find just lowering your car to a race height will give you a lot better control. Things like tuning the shocks and diffs will give you so much more traction and driveability.

Some of the settings aren't going to be compatible, but the diff fluids, shock fluids, ride height, camber, and toe will be good starting points. This setup sheet is for a medium traction, loose, surface.
View attachment 127759
Thanks a lot for the tip. I will surely look into this. Great stuff.

A decent cheap upgrade is a new servo, you can buy some pretty good ones from amazon or ebay for about $20 US they are just Chinese generic 35kg servo’s, but they are much faster and stronger than stock. Something like these will be fine https://www.amazon.com/ANNIMOS-Coreless-Stainless-Waterproof-Standard/dp/B07SWST8D6
I second this, but some of the cheap budget servos are slightly oversized (probably for more torque), so check the dimensions before buying.

Back