Buggy moved backwards.....ever have this happen ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

militarymaxx

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I almost didn't post this as it sounds crazy, I know. I started it up, burped the throttle a few times and set it down on the ground. It usually loads up when it's cold so I gently blip the throttle to get things moving and, please don't laugh, but it started to move backwards. I let off the throttle and return to idle and try it again. Same thing. I didn't let it really move far, but as the clutch was engaging it wanted to roll backwards. I put it back on the starter box and open it up about half throttle, trying to clean her out. I set it back down and off she goes, FORWARDS, no problems. The buggy sat all week. Could the diff oil have set up enough to cause some mechanical weirdness ? I wish I had someone there to have witnessed this as I'm sure no one will believe it. Heck, for all I know it mechanically impossible. But I know what I saw.

sometimes the engine can fire backwards and run that way...don't aks me how, i have no idea, i just heard this from other people...

I thought that as well. I was even checking my starter box to see what way things were rotating. My engine has great compression, and if I had the piston at close to TDC and it fired, wouldn't that force it back down instead of all the way to TDC and continuing through with the cycle. Basically, it fired early on the up/compression stroke. Possible ?

2 stroke mills will run backwards, but there is no performance at all. Sometimes you can blip the throttle and get it to missfire and the engine might start running the right way. I've done this many times on airpplane engines.

Unless you flipped the diffs or the engine was running backwards. the gearing in the diffs will always make it roll the right way.

Had to have been spinning backwards, it's unfortunately the only way for it to travel backwards, powered that is.

K, I'm convinced that the engine fired and ran backwards. It didn't run this way for more than a few seconds so I hope no long term damage or premature wear occured. Looking back at each step in my starting process explains a few things. I primed the lines using the starter box (no glowstarter attached). Once the lines were primed I probably had some fuel/air in the combustion chamber partially compressed (still on the up stroke).
When I hit it with the glowstarter it fired but sent it back down the other way, reversing the stroke. Make sense ?

You could have had the battery connection reversed on your starter too. Easy to do and hard to notice.

Originally posted by Nitro_Freak
sometimes the engine can fire backwards and run that way...don't aks me how, i have no idea, i just heard this from other people...

It started backwards. It happens with airplane engines if it kicks back before a full compression stroke. Only 2 strokes, never the 4 strokes. I've been told that it can also happen with diesel truck engines. Hmmm 15 speeds in reverse. Apparently they clatter and clang, but it does happen.

Make sure that your diffs are correctly in the gear box ( if you worked on your diffs recently ).

Your flywheel on your engine should turn clockwise when you try to start it.

It happend to me a couple times afew weeks ago, it was a freaky thing. It has never happend again so I think sprinkling it with holy water may have worked.......................lol

the motor can be fired backwards.. and run.. and then if you blip the throttle.. i could correct itself.. happened to me.. were you using a bump wheel?? or a box.. have the wires backwards?? prolly not.. but it will happen... dont get into a habit of this.. it happened to me.. but used a bump wheel and bumped it backwards.. back when i was a :n00bie: