brushed to brushless

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballen

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
ok i have a team associated B4 not burshless.and i have a novak ss4300 brushless system i want to put on it do i have to have anything else ? or just install it and go.don't know about electric:D

When you say brushless system I'm assuming you mean you have the motor and the ESC? You'll need both of those unless your current ESC is capable of running a brushless motor. You'll also need a lipo battery to really get the most out of your brushless system. The voltage of the lipo depends on what your ESC can handle. You may also need to change your pinion if the brushless motor is running hot. IF the brushless motor isnt running hot at all you can use a bigger pinion to make it have a higher top speed. Those are the main things I can think of off the top of my head.

ok i have a team associated B4 not burshless.and i have a novak ss4300 brushless system i want to put on it do i have to have anything else ? or just install it and go.don't know about electric:D

You're also going to want to switch to a LiPo battery pack if you haven't already, and I suggest a Glitch Buster as well. The GB will prevent cut-outs. Brushless power demands a bit more power than brushed, and can tend to cut out when steering, or at high speeds when there is a lot of draw.

http://www.rcplanet.com/Novak_Glitch_Buster_Capacitor_p/nvk5626.htm

is the lipo a haveto have or do no not do the change over,? or it is just better.it's just for
my daughter to run around the house until i get the nitro's up and running

the motor is a ss 4300
175 w 4300kv 0.45kt with a super sport 6 program 225w novak brushless esc sensored brushless system

Last edited:
You can run without the LiPo, but then you will need the GB.

If you're not gonna use a lipo battery then theres not much point in switching IMO. Even if it runs faster its going to cause your reg batt pack to run hot and may even kill the batt pack depending on how hot its making it run.

Last edited:
i have it laying around not in use if you don't use not much point of haveing it now is there .I don't like to have stuff just to have it .use it or get rid of it.if i like the setup up maybe i will get a lipo if i don't like it as far as i am concerened it is trash.

Well, greywolf74 makes a good point though. The draw from a brushless system could potentially cook your batteries.

So here's what you have:
Brushless needs high c-rated LiPo with no glitchbuster, or low c-rated LiPo with glitchbuster. If you haven't bought LiPo batteries before, you need to make sure your charger is LiPo compatible. If not, you need to buy a new charger, preferably with a balancer built in.

well i don't know anything about electric or lipos .will give it a try with the batts i have and if it cooks them then i will trash the brushless won't take up much space in the trashcan.

Lol, if you don't like it, send it to me. Don't trash it.

I have run both brushed and brushless on both NiMH and LiPo. Brushless is the only way to go for most applications even with NiMH, which what I first ran.

i put the novak in my assciated B4 just to checkit out seems pretty good but need to get a decent bat the one I have dies fast in a brushed motor now it dies real fast but the bat. was bad to start with.

how do i know if it will charge lipo's and what the hell is a balencer

how do i know if it will charge lipo's and what the hell is a balencer

If you don't have the box, look up the specs on the net. A balancer will even you the cells. In a LiPo battery that's important.

Here is a link to a decent inexpensive battery charger. It will charge your Lipos and pretty much any regular pack you have as well. I made an adapter for mine that has aligator clamps on the ends and I use it to charge my cordless drill batteries.

You can also look up their gensacearespammers line of lipo batteries and you can probably find something that will be realitivly inexpensive. Id try to find something in the 5000mah range but make sure the voltage of the lipo you get is able to be handled by your esc and your motor. Also make sure the dimensions of the lipos will fit your batt tray. You should be able to look that info up on the manufacturers website.

If you decide to go that route anyway