Break-in procedure for .26 picco?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Predator106

I was wondering if anyone had a good break-in procedure for this engine. I'm going to be getting it, the "red dot" version, i heard that one was better?

Anyways, my first engine I'm sure I screwed up the break in procedure, and it only lasted 2-3 gallons and lost compression (the TRX2.5). I now have a 3.3 which i broke in well and runs great still, but break-ins always make me so dang nervous.

Do I break it in on the bench for a bit, or actually driving it? I heard some people put a sock on the engine first to get it up to temp...I need details like that which, if lacked could probably royally screw me over again.

Pre-heat to 200F+, start it up and let it idle for a few minutes. Then put it on the ground and drive it for as long as you can keeping the rpm very low. Full throttle stabs are fine to help clear out the engine and wash away the lapped materials from inside but again, keep the rpm's low for at least the first 1/2 gallon. IMO the heat treating method is a bunch of horse pucky and does nothing more then wear out the starting system, so run it as much and as long as you can and it will help speed up the process. I like the temps to be 220-250 for break-in as I believe it should be run in the same range as you will have once you performance tune it. It will take a gallon before it's even close to ready for a performance tune, it may be 2-3 gallons before it really wakes up. When it is ready for a performance tune, follow the guide below word for word and it will tune the engine to be just on the rich side of a perfect tune.

http://extremercmods.com/content/tuning-popup.html

Last edited:
How do I "preheat" it to that temp? Heatgun? Seems like it'd take a while to hit that temperature. What if I don't do that, and just start it?

Use a hair dryer on high blowing directly on the engine head from side for a minute or two. Should be around 200 within a couple of mins.

Starting a new engine cold will stress every moving part on it. If pre heating the engine is too much hassle I would sell it new and go electric, honestly.

I was just curious as to what would happen if I didn't. I didn't say I wouldn't.

I'm more than happy to hear a professional finally admit that the heat cycle method is overated. I agree whole heartedly. Preheat, run it gentle and let the engine tell you when its ready to be run harder.

I'm more than happy to hear a professional finally admit that the heat cycle method is overated. I agree whole heartedly. Preheat, run it gentle and let the engine tell you when its ready to be run harder.

It's not just overrated, again, IMO, it is a total waste of time :)

---------- Post added at 9:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:32 PM ----------

I was just curious as to what would happen if I didn't. I didn't say I wouldn't.

It's all good, I wasn't trying to be rude.