Bought second hand revo and brand new .19t

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bstrang6

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I've been out of the hobby for six years or so, and decided to get back into it after running across some of my old gear. I bought a 2.5 revo, bone stock for two hundred bucks on eBay. Now the truck looked brand new, skid plates didn't have hardly any scratches, and the truck was very clean and complete. I couldn't get the 2.5 to run right, was over heating, then not starting till it cooled down, so I figured it was worn out and bought a dynamite 19t replacement motor.

I am very displeased with dynamite. First off i had to dremel the heck out of my motor mount to get this direct replacement motor to even bolt up, second I read up and found that in 2010 there where issues with the backplate binding against the one way bearing, and the motor had been revised. Mine had all the markings of a revised model, yet had the issue. I called horizon and they sent me another backplate, same issue, called again, sent another backplate, same issue. So I had a buddy machine one of my backplates out, and was able to use my motor.

Break in went well, noticed a bad seal around the lid of the gas tank, fixed that, exhaust was leaking so I sealed that with rtv and I'm still having some trouble ( motor came with a rubber exhaust port gasket, which did not fit in my header, but motor does have an o ring on the exhaust port). The motors leaning out towards the middle of the tank, and over heats. Would you guys think this is an air leak, or a fuel system leak? I ordered a new tank and fuel line ( got the 150cc model, will it be a direct replacement for my 125cc?) what can I do to check for air leaks? I have read a thread on here about how to seal a new engine, but don't fancy the idea of taking apart my carb needle assembly's, would these be common areas for leaks? I never did this in the past racing my 1/8th scale buggies. If I just sealed the back plate to block, and the carb to block would that suffice?

Been a rough re entry into the hobby lol. Looking to get this truck running good, then pick up a Losi 8ight 2.0 rtr and get back into racing!

Last edited:
I've never heard any of these guys talk about sealing the needle assembly. The back plate and carb to block sounds like enough for me. Check the nozzle coming out of your exhaust pipe to the tank and make sure there is no obstruction. One time I bought a used pipe and this was plugged up with "something" and I had to drill it out.

It sounds like you still have a leak of some kind. The tank seal leaking will cause over heating and leaning. The exhaust boots need to be leak free and sealed good and pipe needs to be crack free and sealed as well. I've got the .19T on my tmaxx and have never had any issues with it at all. Its strong and fast! Make sure your revo header isnt cracked also. If you have any leaks in the fuel tank lines or exhaust anywhere it will cause you to not be able to keep a good tune on the engine and cause it to run hot and lean all the time. Double check everything and when you replace the tank maybe that will fix the problem.

I think while I'm waiting on my new tank and line I'll go ahead and seal the carb and backplate up. Thanks guys.

Back