Blade balancer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Do I really need a blade balancer for my 450 heli or is that just one of those nice to have but not necessary kind of tools?

i'm told they are worth the investment.....that said, i don't own one for my 300 size heli's, but i have thought about getting one!

Blades do need to be balanced actually. Think of it this way (and I'm way over exaggerating here) take a stick and put a 1lb weight on one end, and a 3/4lb weight on the other and a pivot dead middle and spin it in your hands while holding the center pivot and see how it feels.

I use both a digital scale to weigh my blades first, then a balancer to static balance them afterward. On some of the micro helis (yes even the micros!) head speeds exceed 5,000RPM, and tail rotor speeds can exceed 15,000RPM; balance becomes crucial for good flight characteristics, or even being able to be flown at all vs. merely self destructing.

Do I really need a blade balancer for my 450 heli or is that just one of those nice to have but not necessary kind of tools?

Hi Greywolf,
A good quality blade balancer is something I think of as another valuable resource tool and should be in every helicopter pilots repair/tuning tool kit. They are very inexpensive, come on!! As well as an invaluable digital or adjustable pitch guage. Wouldn't be without one of those either.

Chas

Carbon fiber and alloy with ball bearings.

This is the one I have. You can find it on ebay for $10 with free shipping.

lt-0002-big-1.jpg