Best radio and why?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntpoof

Whats Up Doc?
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
  4. Boating
Whats your favorite radio(aka Best) and why.
For me its the radiopost ts 401 v2- cost and new rx price.paid 25 for radio nib and purchased 100 rx nib thru ebay from North Korea maker going under paid $5 each...best for distance best control fast ..very good unit...next was a ex 10 Helios with Spektrum 2.4 till tx module took a dump.

I don't have much experience with other radio's but I have a Spektrum DX5C and really like it. So simple to set up and bind with receivers.

I have the Spektrum DX5pro. it's great for mixing & race profiles you can switch on the fly. I still have a DX4C for backup

Dx5. Lots of features for the price. Lots of receiver options. And if you ever get a spektrum smart system (a lot of companies headed that way) your ahead of the game

Best radio is the one that does what you want; at the price you want.

For me, there is one little feature that I look for when I go radio shopping. I've looked long, and hard at radios that have this one little feature. RadioLink had the RC3S priced right ($40-ish) for what features it included on it, but it's been discontinued for quite some time now. The $53 price tag, on the RadioLink RC4GS, is the lowest price radio that I could find nowadays that has Sub Trim on it.

Having a Sub Trim feature makes my steering setup OCD that much easier to do. It's that big of a deal to me. Yeah, I could get by with just Trim, but having Sub Trim adjustment gets the servo centering job done perfectly every time.

I have a Futaba 3PM that I bought back in 2005? for my return to racing. I can't/won't get rid of it... I love it that much. It is that mid priced quality radio that I expect from Futaba. Of course, the Futaba FASST receivers for the 3PM radio are outrageously overpriced @ $79 for one. That's the main reason why I only ever had a single receiver for the 3PM radio for many years. Thank goodness for companies making FASST compatible receivers.

Other features that are a "must have" for some people are Expo, and Servo/Steering Speed. Those are the other two adjustments that I look for on a radio if I were planning on getting into racing RC cars. Generally, but not always, you'll find Expo, and Servo Speed on transmitters with Sub Trim.

Last edited:
for general bashing i am really liking my FlySky GT3C, many options, many models can be linked to it, 10$ a receiver (also waterproof), and right around 50$ for one RX/TX.

"Best" is too much based on opinion. Although, the high dollar Futaba's are like owning a Lexus, they are incredibly nice.

I have the spektrum dx5c and have been using spektrum for around 15 years. I had the DX2, DX3.0, DX3S, DX3C and now DX5C.

I honestly don't know why asspektrum has never given me great range... back in the day when they offered only the single wire (no pigtail/non-coaxial) antenna, my range was just abysmal, 50-60 yards at best with LOS. Then 6+ or so years ago, I found DSM2 knock off receivers that were $8 a piece and they had coaxial antenna's which tripled my LOS range, just had to get them from China. Now those are more readily available. However, I found that they would crap out after about 6 months of use. I don't drive half my trucks, so it wasn't a huge deal, but then I was able to find OEM spektrum sr210 receiver which were $30 and also had coaxial antennas. I tried a couple of those, my range wasn't too bad and they seem to be lasting longer.

I thought my range was great, but that was back when I ran nitro and I rarely ran that far from myself, 100 yards at most usually as I didn't want to roll it and have to do the walk of shame to go get it. Now with brushless, you can blip the throttle a few times and get the trucks bak on their wheels usually, depending on the truck. Also, I found a public grass bmx track that is roughly 150 yards end to end and I'm finding that if my truck is around 100 yards away and down in a valley, it doesn't respond... :( Still, it's better than the 50 yard LOS range I had, which was at the max distance I could drive it before.

I think if I were to buy a new radio, I'd give that new flysky noble a try. It's cool, stores far more models than I'd ever need, from what I've read/seen on youtube, the range is great and since it's software based, odds are, it could be updated as needed. Also, the receivers aren't too expensive. Still, it's a lot of radio for a basher. With the receivers at $25 a piece, they aren't too bad either. Having 10 trucks means I'd have to spend $200 on the radio with 2 receivers and another $200 on more receivers. Still not bad.

When I bought the DX5C a year or so ago, I was thinking of getting the futaba 3PV, then I realized it stored only 10 models, which led me to the 4PM... but $270 for the radio and another $600 for receivers was too big of a pill to swallow. So, I went with the DX5C instead. It does what I want, stores 20 models and while the sr210 isn't available anymore, there is a new SR215 for $30 that will work with it.