Best motor upgrade for 1/0th scale short course truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so am i right in doing this. putting the biggest can size motor that i can fit in it which at the moment seems to be the hobbywing 4 pole 4000kv 3660. i have to stick with the width 36mm but i can change the length and so the longest length of a motor with the 36mm width is that motor. and as for the kv i wanted the highest kv for that motor size and voltage so the hobbywing 4000kv 4pole 3660 has also won in kv as well. and also science it’s longer and is a 4pole and i am going to run it in a 2wd it will have more torque than other motors there for i can gear it higher. it also has a very good kv for the size so i see it as a win win for the kv and the torque.

how does a lot of torque make it hard to get the power down. i know the wheels might spin but since it has a lot of torque i can just gear it up and make it go faster. i just need someone to explain it because my tiny brain can’t get around it 😂

and also do you mean a lighter vehicle with the same motor and same gearing as the heavier vehicle. not all the time because i have a friend who has a 1/18 scale rc monster truck which has a massive motor in it which makes it capable of 70kph. now as you can probably tell that is way to fast for a super LIGHT 1/18 and when it gets up to like 50kph it’s just uncontrollable. so sometimes things just need a little more weight.
Again this is all in reference to racing on a track. To much torque can make it hard to put the power down on the track because it might tend to want to wheelie or break traction which to a racer is a bad thing. Bashers like us dont care about that kind of stuff, we usually just want the most power we can get our hands on. We want wheelies and wheel spin etc. :)
so am i right in doing this. putting the biggest can size motor that i can fit in it which at the moment seems to be the hobbywing 4 pole 4000kv 3660. i have to stick with the width 36mm but i can change the length and so the longest length of a motor with the 36mm width is that motor. and as for the kv i wanted the highest kv for that motor size and voltage so the hobbywing 4000kv 4pole 3660 has also won in kv as well. and also science it’s longer and is a 4pole and i am going to run it in a 2wd it will have more torque than other motors there for i can gear it higher. it also has a very good kv for the size so i see it as a win win for the kv and the torque.
I think its a fun choice and you'll have a blast running it.

I have the HW 4300kv XR8 motor, and it seems to be lacking bottom-end torque for me. Since it can only take up to 2s, I would much rather jump down a lower kv (ideally 3200kv) and run it on 3s.

Again this is all in reference to racing on a track. To much torque can make it hard to put the power down on the track because it might tend to want to wheelie or break traction which to a racer is a bad thing.
again can't i just gear it up or adjust the slipper clutch or even weigh the nose down to stop it from wheel spinning and wheeling. 😀

I think its a fun choice and you'll have a blast running it.
Thanks also I've done some calculations and it says it will reach 72mph on a 45t pinion and 84t spur so that set up would be good for speed runs as well.
also would it be any good for racing. i am not much of a racer but ever once in a while i want to take it to the track.

again can't i just gear it up or adjust the slipper clutch or even weigh the nose down to stop it from wheel spinning and wheeling. 😀

Thanks also I've done some calculations and it says it will reach 72mph on a 45t pinion and 84t spur so that set up would be good for speed runs as well.
also would it be any good for racing. i am not much of a racer but ever once in a while i want to take it to the track.
You can totally play with gearing, balancing and all that. Nothing is critical if you're not a competitive racer.

Did those calculations you did take in to account the gearing in the transmission/center diff and the front and rear diffs as well as the roll out from your tires? All the plays a part in top speed, not just motor kv and pinion spur/ratios. That being said it soulds like as good of a place to start as any, just make sure you're checking motor and esc temps periodically to make sure nothing is over heating. Its not going to be good for trying to race on a track but you can certain run some laps with it.

yes, those calculations did take in the rear diff only because it is a rear wheel drive. and the 3660 hobbywing motor i plan to use has a built in temp sensor so it will cut out if it gets to hot.

yes, those calculations did take in the rear diff only because it is a rear wheel drive. and the 3660 hobbywing motor i plan to use has a built in temp sensor so it will cut out if it gets to hot.
My bad, forgot that kit just has a transmission and rear wheels to take in to account. How did you find out the gear ratio of the transmission itself?

Is your SCT 2wd or 4wd? If 2wd, then a 3650 sized motor would be fine, but if 4wd, it may lack torque and run hot. Also, have you decided your kv range, and battery you are going to run (they are also factors you should put in mind when selecting a motor)? In general, higher kv motors allow you to go faster with relatively less voltage, while lower kv motors require higher voltages to reach the same speed, but outputs more torque.
I am running the CC SW4 1410 3800kv combo in my Slash 2wd with the stock gearing, and it seems to run reliably, cool, and smooth on 2s. If I were to choose a combo for my Slash 4x4, I would pick the CC CH 1412 3200kv LE, since it is sensored and can take all the way up to 4s.
Other good options include the Hobbywing Max10, Hobbywing Max10 SCT, etc (still plenty more, but that's I can come up with atm, you can ask for more options if these aren't really what you are looking for).
What considerations should I give to the T rating?