Best First Crawler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addict Rc

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok because a lot of you said the LAEGENDARY GRANDO was no good I did a comparison video which can also help if your looking at the GRANDO as a first crawler or 7th crawler also here’s the run video and comparison video
running video

I appreciate the review but IMO I shy away from any amazon special rc car.
For me, I would go with the TRX4 all day long.

I’ll build my own with numerous parts although like to have little scale crawler I think there pretty cool.

It was a nice comparison, good job on the vids. Your crawler course is also looking good. I don't think the Grando is so bad for an entry level rig. The only thing I would be hesitant of, is replacement parts a year from now.

I think you've come a long way in a short time. :thumbs-up: I know sometimes it may seem like we are coming down on you, but we are really just trying to share our experience. But it's good to try things on your own too, that's how you learn. :)

My first was the HPI Venture Scale Builders Kit... alot of fun assembling it... I'm using a (TRX4) XL5-HV ESC and a Holmes Hobbies motor.

I also have a Traxxas Summit, but the HPI is my only true 1/10 crawler, for now.

eWzQ3xe.jpg

It was a nice comparison, good job on the vids. Your crawler course is also looking good. I don't think the Grando is so bad for an entry level rig. The only thing I would be hesitant of, is replacement parts a year from now.

I think you've come a long way in a short time. :thumbs-up: I know sometimes it may seem like we are coming down on you, but we are really just trying to share our experience. But it's good to try things on your own too, that's how you learn. :)
Thank you, it’s not a bad truck also yes replacement parts could be a problem if the company stops making the truck but if you go to their amazon store they have every single replacement part for that trucks which is impressive from a small company, I totally understand everyone has different opinions I think the grandos more of a trail truck than crawler
My first was the HPI Venture Scale Builders Kit... alot of fun assembling it... I'm using a (TRX4) XL5-HV ESC and a Holmes Hobbies motor.

I also have a Traxxas Summit, but the HPI is my only true 1/10 crawler, for now.

eWzQ3xe.jpg
That looks sick

Upgrades and replacement parts makes the decision for me. The TRX4 wins hands down.

The grando does have all replacement parts
They may be available now, but what is going to happen in a year, or 5, or 20? I have multiple cars traxxas cars that are made in 90 and parts are still mostly available. I also have cars that are sitting broken because it was discontinued 3 years after I bought it new

But the one thing about your basic crawlers is you can more easily mod them and fit parts from other brand vehicles. I mean, they are just frame rails, a transmission and crossmember, links, shocks, and axles. So who cares if parts are available? I have a 1/16 crawler made up of parts from two completely different brands of vehicles.

Now... try that with a TRX4. That would be difficult to do.

Not siding either way. The Grando looks like a decent entry level crawler. I would probably rather go with an SCX10 to start out with anyway 😜

I agree with WF, all of my crawlers are Heinz 57.
I'm sure the company will build up their parts supplies as sales increase.
Any RC can become discontinued whether it's one of the top brands or not.
@Addict Rc stepped up and is taking a chance with them. Kudos to you bud.
You gained a RC and they gained free advertisement.

Nice video, for trail crawling the trx4 is very reliable. Miles and miles and miles without a single problem. The drivetrain is extremely strong. My cheaper crawlers (don’t have the above but several rgt) have had a few longevity issues in the driveline. Mostly broken driveshafts, axles and tore up some ring gears. I’ve also built several rigs using the trx4 axles without issues in some extreme crawling with very powerful servos. The plastics are very good.
If money is tight or you just want to give crawling a try, the RGT, they are really good. The one above looks very capable as well. If you have the extra $$ then definitely the trx4 sport, axial basecamp, or one of the element Rc’s if you’re not a fan of portals.

Exactly tomorrow Traxxas can discontinue the slash 2wd and all spares (not that they would but just a example) yes they might be available but are the trucks that are from the 90’s available on the traxxas website or eBay?

Element ecto is a great crawler out of the box. I’ve had the enduro sendaro for three years. ( same platform). No problems yet. Comes with overdrive options and is very capable crawler. Lots of after market parts available. Have fun. That’s what it’s all about.

I think @Doom! nailed it when you first posted about this rig. You are not a salesman, just an enthusiast doing a review. Stay objective.
Having said that, you do seem to have a bias; and That’s not an insult, just my perception.
Sometimes the tone of Someone’s message is lost in text, so don’t take it personally. I think most everyone on this forum is pretty considerate, especially with the the state of social media these days.
I still think the truck has a lot to offer for the money, and could be a great starter. Trying to convince a group of knowledgable RC Nerds that they should consider this rig over a traxxas is a big ask.
Your videos were pretty good, and show a lot of promise, keep up the good work.

I think @Doom! nailed it when you first posted about this rig. You are not a salesman, just an enthusiast doing a review. Stay objective.
Having said that, you do seem to have a bias; and That’s not an insult, just my perception.
Sometimes the tone of Someone’s message is lost in text, so don’t take it personally. I think most everyone on this forum is pretty considerate, especially with the the state of social media these days.
I still think the truck has a lot to offer for the money, and could be a great starter. Trying to convince a group of knowledgable RC Nerds that they should consider this rig over a traxxas is a big ask.
Your videos were pretty good, and show a lot of promise, keep up the good work.
Yes that’s true, also thanks

Hi:

eWzQ3xe.jpg
Could you tell me the brand and model of the body you have used?
Thank you

Back