Best battery connecter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why I bought the castle esc because of teh data logging, logs everything and you can set the interval of timing to sample. Helped me correct my heat problems without damaging anything. BTW if a manufacturer doesn't provide specs for a connector they can keep it. That's my attitude with close architecture of anything. I put EC5 on everything no need hassle with connectors at all.

BTW if a manufacturer doesn't provide specs for a connector they can keep it. That's my attitude with close architecture of anything. I put EC5 on everything no need hassle with connectors at all.
I mean no one really knows for sure what an EC5 is rated at either so I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference but I get it.

you're going to get a million different answers to this question.

Perfect answer.

The only thing I would add is that if you are bashing, consider a connector that has a positive engagement and does not loosen easily.

It's connector snobbery and tribalism when someone tells you one is "better". The best one is the one that works for your purpose. In the end don't over think it with specs.

Deans, EC3, XT60 are all 60Amps on paper, but they take much more and have margin in their numbers. I don't know the distrubution on their quality, but it works on a range of maxim values Also the ESC will overrate their Amps. Let's say they "typically" draw, say 60 amps, but maybe have a max (worst case) of 100 Amps. You could get the one ESC in the batch that actually draws 100 Amps it's still "within spec".

- If the ESC ships with XT60, assume they have done the engineering correctly and 60 Amps is the answer.

dunno read it somewhere maybe google it. think 120 continuous and 150 max, couldn't find any better connectors so I settled on ec5 haven't been disappointed.

dunno read it somewhere maybe google it. think 120 continuous and 150 max, couldn't find any better connectors so I settled on ec5 haven't been disappointed.
I'm not saying theres anything wrong with EC5, in fact I think those and XT90s are great even though I'm still hung up on Deans connectors personally. I can show you 3 different manufacturers right now who all say their EC5 connectors are all different amp ratings. One says 50A, One says 60A, and one says 90A. So just like Deans no one really knows what the true rating is on EC5s either. I'm betting if I went looking I could find the same discrepancy in XT connectors too.

The product description on these ec5 sold on amazon is 100 amps. These are the ones I got. Scroll down to product description where it says 100 amps. However, who knows for sure. castle log shows as much as 200 amps but that a very short peek. Like I said haven't had any problems with connectors. Had problems with everything else though lol
https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Fe...nectors+150+amp+rating&qid=1623560030&sr=8-15

The product description on these ec5 sold on amazon is 100 amps. These are the ones I got. Scroll down to product description where it says 100 amps. However, who knows for sure. castle log shows as much as 200 amps but that a very short peek. Like I said haven't had any problems with connectors. Had problems with everything else though lol
https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Fe...nectors+150+amp+rating&qid=1623560030&sr=8-15
Thats my point though. All the Amp rating on everything regardless whether its connectors, escs, lipos etc are all blown way out of proportion and when it comes to connectors its even worse because different manufacturers are claiming different numbers for the same connectors. Just like Olds97's earlier data logging shows on his 6S Maxx the average Amp draw is only about 25Amps. It had spikes as high as 91A but these spikes are literally very quick and most connectors or even electronics can handle short burst of really high amperage pretty easily. Its the continuous draw thats the most important thing.

Thats my point though. All the Amp rating on everything regardless whether its connectors, escs, lipos etc are all blown way out of proportion and when it comes to connectors its even worse because different manufacturers are claiming different numbers for the same connectors. Just like Olds97's earlier data logging shows on his 6S Maxx the average Amp draw is only about 25Amps. It had spikes as high as 91A but these spikes are literally very quick and most connectors or even electronics can handle short burst of really high amperage pretty easily. Its the continuous draw thats the most important thing.
Was a little worse today. I think I left it running for a decent chunk of time early on because I was working on it, so that kind of screws up the average. If I just highlighted the busy section on the right, the average was 32A or so.
2021-0612-Yorkville-Maxx4S-25_46Gearing.jpg

I increased my gearing from 24/46 to 25/46. From looking at the external temps, I thought I'd be alright going up one more on the pinion, but after downloading the data and looking to find the esc said it was 222F internally and the motor at 159F... I might just leave it alone. Probably didn't help it was 94F and so humid you could see the air that day though and this was likely the second or 3rd pack through the truck. I'm not sure how that works for time.

I'm not saying theres anything wrong with EC5, in fact I think those and XT90s are great even though I'm still hung up on Deans connectors personally. I can show you 3 different manufacturers right now who all say their EC5 connectors are all different amp ratings. One says 50A, One says 60A, and one says 90A. So just like Deans no one really knows what the true rating is on EC5s either. I'm betting if I went looking I could find the same discrepancy in XT connectors too.
I agree with the Dean's comment, I race 1/8 buggy/truggy with Dean's on 4S, the connectors were the least of my worries. I can see why the 6-8S basher might go bigger, but I'm pretty happy with Dean's on 2-4S. That said, more and more I find myself using XT60, for no other reason than availability. I will admit, soldering XT60 is a bit easier than Dean's and the connectors are easier to connect/disconnect.

So if the esc/wire/connector was rated for 60 amps and 75 burst and the motor was rated for max amps of 100 would the esc/wire/connector be bottle necking the motors power?

So if the esc/wire/connector was rated for 60 amps and 75 burst and the motor was rated for max amps of 100 would the esc/wire/connector be bottle necking the motors power?
Depends. Just because a motor is capable of drawing 100A doesn't mean it will (read as gearing can make all the difference) but it it was pulling 100A continuous then youd probably fry your ESC. If your ESC could handle 100A continuous then youd end up melting either your connector or your wire, whichever is the weakest link.

I just use deans for everything, I don't know what they're rated for but I like them a lot, if they would ever burn through, I would just change them out.

I just use deans for everything, I don't know what they're rated for but I like them a lot, if they would ever burn through, I would just change them out.
Just depends on what your doing. Like with my maxx4s, I run a castle mmx/2200kv 1515 in it on 6S. Average amps used isn't that high, but there are a lot of spikes above 50amps with a peak of 98amps. Well, at least during my last run:
2021-0814-Yorkville-Maxx6S-current.jpg

Running the same system on taller gearing on 4S ran much higher amps:
2021-0619-Maxx-Yorkville%20BMX-Liperior65C4S-25x46-current.jpg

So really, if your running 4S at the max gearing you can run without overheating the esc and/or motor (like I was), you would be pulling a lot of amps.

So running something like a deans or xt60 might work ok, but for me, I prefer to use XT90's to give me a bit more headroom.

Although, 50% of why I use them is because I can get my hands on them to pull them apart more easily while out bashing. Once my hands get hot standing out in the sun, I have a hard time gripping connectors well enough to get them apart. lol!