Beginner with some simple Q's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

para57

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just got a new traxxas rustler (2.5 engine). After brake-in should I replace the glow plug with a new one? Your opinions please.

Also, the rustler body already has a large cut in the back for the engine cooling head. Should I make more cuts into the body for cooling?

And lastly, I have read about a "fail-safe." I've seen the venom fail-safe (electronics) but I could have sworn I read somewhere that you can install your own mechanical fail-safe. Is this true? And how is it done? (Or, could you please point me in the right direction/web page to see how this is done.)

I appreciate your help! Thank you! :)

Glow plug - No,if it's running fine no need to replace it.

Body - I would watch temps,if they get hot too easy/fast then I would cut a hole in the windshield. Usually tuning is sufficient with head protruding from the body.

Failsafe - A must have IMO. A good stand alone or if you upgrade to a 2.4 radio most have a built in failsafe. I do not know of a mechanical/make it yourself unit.

One more Q :D

I read here: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=343243

About people being concerned about using different types of receiver battery packs. Differences between 5-battery hump packs from traxxas, 4 regular AA batts. from the store, and using 4 or 5 rechargable AA batteries.

They were saying that using rechargable AA batteries have a lower voltage.

I was planning on buying 4 energizer rechargable batteries for my reciever. Is it ok I go that route? Anything I should know about doing that? I would like opinions.

Thank you for answering my prior questions! :D

Four rechargeable AA cells put out 4.8v (1.2v each). The Alkaline AA cells put out 1.5v each for 6v. If you are going to run rechargeable cells it is better to purchase a rechargeable receiver pack which is 6v. This will actually be cheaper in the long run and I would highly recommend it.

Whatever you don't run just 4 AA rechargeable batteries in your receiver. This will cause erratic behavior and could cause a receiver failure and possibly injury to you or a bystander or your rig.

Ok, thank you for the advice!

Last edited:
You can actually tinker alot with the body as far as cooling, a 1.5" round hole in the front windshield on the same side as the motor head works a tad and as much airflow to the air filter will make that baby purr. Good luck on ur 2.5, rustlers are a fun beginer rc

Thanks for the tips guys!

Also, back to the rechargable AA's. I understand the risks now of using them for the receiver, but what about the transmitter?

I would think the transmitter would be ok because if they die in the midst of rc action the cars throttle stops and doesn't respond therefore u dont have a runaway rc

Thanks for the tips guys!

Also, back to the rechargable AA's. I understand the risks now of using them for the receiver, but what about the transmitter?

8 AA batteries/when new/ produce 12volts of electricity... with that being said i never allow mine to get bellow 9.8volts, which is 1.23 volts per battery....

Transmitter batteries are just as important as Rx batteries. if you wouldn't do it on one end, don't do it on the other.

Actually, now that I think about it, the Traxxas transmitter has a low battery warning... So technically I could use rechargables, they would just get to that low voltage warning faster than regular AA's. Meaning I would just have to recharge them more often... Better than buying new AA's all the time I would think!

8 AA batteries/when new/ produce 12volts of electricity... with that being said i never allow mine to get bellow 9.8volts, which is 1.23 volts per battery....

Transmitter batteries are just as important as Rx batteries. if you wouldn't do it on one end, don't do it on the other.

That's not true. The transmitter is the perfect place for rechargeable batteries if there's isn't an available pack to fit. I use rechargeable batteries in ALL of my transmitters. Only my Futaba has a pack to fit it.

The rechargeable batteries I use all last much longer than alkaline AAs.

That's not true. The transmitter is the perfect place for rechargeable batteries if there's isn't an available pack to fit. I use rechargeable batteries in ALL of my transmitters. Only my Futaba has a pack to fit it.

The rechargeable batteries I use all last much longer than alkaline AAs.

1)Please tell me where I said to only use Alk batteries? 2) I said " if you don't do it on one end, don't do it on the other". Think about it. Why would you skimp on tx batteries if you have top of the line rx batteries or vice versa. I think you misunderstand what I was referring to. I just said I don't allow mine to drop below 1.2x Volts. I never said anything about ALKs only.

1)Please tell me where I said to only use Alk batteries? 2) I said " if you don't do it on one end, don't do it on the other". Think about it. Why would you skimp on tx batteries if you have top of the line rx batteries or vice versa. I think you misunderstand what I was referring to. I just said I don't allow mine to drop below 1.2x Volts. I never said anything about ALKs only.

1. Think about it,if you don't use rechargeable what can you use in a tx?
2. Think about it,the question is should you use them a transmitter, your statement implies that rechargeable batteries are skimping and shouldn't be used.

It's already been agreed upon that they're not good for the rx, what else can you conclude from " if you don't do it on one end, don't do it on the other"? :shrug:

1. Think about it,if you don't use rechargeable what can you use in a tx?
2. Think about it,the question is should you use them a transmitter, your statement implies that rechargeable batteries are skimping and shouldn't be used.

It's already been agreed upon that they're not good for the rx, what else can you conclude from " if you don't do it on one end, don't do it on the other"? :shrug:

here i'll use pictures

if you do not use Alkaline batteries here
j33_side_wheelie.jpg

Why would you want to use alkaline batteries here
4pk-1.jpg

Twisting my words :\

Most of the people I know have no problem running alkaline batteries in their TX and rechargeables in the RX. Most RTR models that are above the entry-level models are set up to run that way out of the box.

But what about what I said before? It shouldn't matter if you use rechargable batteries in the transmitter if that transmitter has a low voltage warning anyway. As long as its above that voltage, whether you use alkalines or rechargables, it shouldn't matter, right?

Its just the fact that those rechargables will reach that "warning voltage" faster. So... when you notice the warning, just stop and go and recharge them!

Am I wrong? (Not being sarcastic at all here. Just trying to explain my reasoning and possibly end this whole dispute.)

You are fine to run the rechargeable batteries in your tx. Even though the voltage starts out lower,they hold their voltage better and a good set will last longer than the AAs.

No words were twisted in the making of any posts.

A receiver powers servos, which pulls more amps from the batteries than a transmitter. The servos will drop the 4 aa's below 4.8 volts soon after a charge. 4.8 volts is the lowest that most radio systems will operate at. This is why you don't want to run a receiver on 4 rechargeable aa's. 5 would be fine, but it's just too convenient to pick up an assembled rx pack. Especially since a quality rx pack costs about $12.

Back