Beginner question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevhall2

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Sorry for the basic question but though I would check before starting to adjust from factory settings when I have no experience.

I have a RTR Hyper 7 black ed (or my son does). Initial start was easy and the idle appeares OK with no forward movement. On the 2nd start It began to have a small amount of pull at idle which increased on the 3rd start to moving fairly slowly with no throttle.

Trimming the throttle made no difference so assume I need to check idle gap is correct (1mm?) and try again. If still hapens adjust low speed needle. Is this correct?

One other clarification please. I've no idea beyond looking at utube as the instructions were none existant. The carb is a slide type but besides the idle screw, appears to have the usual HS and LS adjustmet and what I assume is a third adjustment on the end nearest to the HS adjuster. What is this for please?

Apologies again for the very basic questions and Happy New Year.

Kev.

Last edited:
Not trying to be rude but you need to start by reading all the stickies at the top of the pages and watching the videos contained there in. You will most likely find your answer there. You can also look up a video series on YouTube by a guy name squirrel. He has an entire video series on how to set up and tune your nitro engine.

I had a Problem with idle on my sh 18 on my Redcat tornado s30. No matter WHAT I did I WOULDN'T idle down. Aparrently my problem was I just needed to break in my engine some more. After I had about 10 tanks through it not including the 6 breakins, my Car started to idle down.

---------- Post added at 7:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:16 PM ----------

And not to forget mine was also due to my tight clutch. The wheels not not stay still no matter how I adjusted

do not mess with ur low needle screw, leave it at stock setting for now....

make sure the throttle arms is pushing the throttle linkage back in all the way when u let go the throttle. then set ur idle screw. (clock wise to open for more idle gap, counter-clock to close for less idle gap.)

Not trying to be rude but you need to start by reading all the stickies at the top of the pages and watching the videos contained there in. You will most likely find your answer there. You can also look up a video series on YouTube by a guy name squirrel. He has an entire video series on how to set up and tune your nitro engine.

Not trying to be rude, but RCNT is about helping people figure out their problems, not sending them elsewhere. Yea there's stickies, and no, not everybody reads them. They are helpful, and the do save time, but they don't work for everybody.

Kevhall, it's not brand new, is it?

Not trying to be rude, but RCNT is about helping people figure out their problems, not sending them elsewhere. Yea there's stickies, and no, not everybody reads them. They are helpful, and the do save time, but they don't work for everybody.

If he read the stickies theres a 95% he would get an answer to his question. Even if he didnt get a direct answer he needs to know the basic general knowledge about his nitro engine which will help him diagnose his problems present and future. If he still can't figure it out after that then fine ask away but the response I would have given him is contained in the stickies. No point in typing out info thats already there. Thats why I said I wasn't trying to be rude and pointed him to where his answer most likely is. Those stickies are on this forum and thats what they are there for, so I dont see it as sending him somewhere else. Its not like I told him to go google it or soemthing.

Yes it is brand new and I have read the stickies which is why I could have a go at suggesting the solution. Just wanted to check this wasn't just something which might happen during break in as I have only ran it for 3 short runs of 2-3 mins at a time, as suggested on here.

No stress, appreciate this is very basic but thought I would make sure as I have a 12 year old wanting to go flat out ASAP.

yeh run it in slowly. generally start at 1/4 throttle and accelerate for 3 sec burst up to 1/4 and increase each time to each tank of fuel till 5 or 6 tanks pass. by the last tank u should be full throttle for a couple sec and then slow down and do it again till ur empty.

Kevhall, it's not brand new, is it?

I have to agree: the OP even apologies in advance for posting his question as noob-ish and you go bash him, greywolf? Even I am not that big a jerk.

To the OP: If your rig is creeping first lower the idle speed screw a tad. I adjust mine to where it just starts to creep then back of an eighth of a turn.

Whoah, cmon guys, live and let die, jesus! Lol for once I am not the jerk to a basic "newb" question lol.

I have no real useful comment here, but the guys posted above are right on the button.

---------- Post added at 7:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:46 AM ----------

The wheels not not stay still no matter how I adjusted

Not directed towards Subaru here, but if your having this problem by chance, shut the rig off, if its 2wd lift the rear tires off the ground and try starting it, if the wheels spin as your turning it over, most likely you have a busted clutch spring.

^^Theres my useful response I spose :D

My appologies. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Please dont take it as me bashing him that was not my intent. Sorry Kevhall I didnt mean to sound like I was putting you off.

My appologies. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Please dont take it as me bashing him that was not my intent. Sorry Kevhall I didnt mean to sound like I was putting you off.

YEAH! Stop tryin to be me, :hehe: because there is only 1 HPI-KILLER!!:hehe:

LOL, honestly I wasn't trying to be a jerk. it just seemed to me from his question that he didnt have a grasp of the basics of the nitro engine yet so not only did I think he could answer his own questions be reading it but I figured it would serve him well to know that info. Apparently he already read the info according to his follow up post and is still having a hard time unserstanding it which is easy to do cuz nitro have a rough learning curve. At any rate I didnt mean to upset or insult anyone I usually try to as helpful as possible cuz I'm still laerning alot of things myself. Only been in the hobby for about 1.5 years. Still tons of stuff I'm a complete noob at so believe me when I say I know how it feels to have those basic types of questions and I can see where my comment was kind of blunt. I didnt mean it to sound like that. Anyway. please dont hold it against me guys. Sometimes I say things that come out the wrong way in print. :)

BTW, I would suggest that anyone that hasnt already seen them to look up the Squirrel vids that I mentioned about. alot of good info there even for people that already have a basic understanding of their nitro engines. He goes really in depth.

Last edited:
I had a Problem with idle on my sh 18 on my Redcat tornado s30. No matter WHAT I did I WOULDN'T idle down. Aparrently my problem was I just needed to break in my engine some more. After I had about 10 tanks through it not including the 6 breakins, my Car started to idle down.

---------- Post added at 7:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:16 PM ----------

And not to forget mine was also due to my tight clutch. The wheels not not stay still no matter how I adjusted

If the wheel tent to go forward when ur idle screw is set properly, this could caused by too lean on the low speed needle. Do a pinch fuel line test, if it shuts it off within 3 seconds, u have to rich it out a bit. Ideally, u want it to be off 5 -6 seconds after u pinch the fuel line.

Hope this help.:D

All these guys are very correct. Work with your needles, HSN, LSN and idle, then set your servo from your controller. If none of these work it's gotta be a real Carb problem.

Back