Battery Questions from a noob: Is it safe to temporarily dip below 6.5V on a 2S?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msf567

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all!

This is my first post and I'm brand new to the hobby, so please bear with me if this question has been asked before, I did some searching and I couldn't find it on my own.

Basically I have battery power telemetry set up on my Losi Mini-B so I get a real-time reading of the battery voltage.

My car is set up with some 1/16 slash tires on them (bigger than the stock), and a Surpass Hobby brushless motor.

On my transmitter, I set my alarm to go off at 6.5 volts (i'm running a 2S lipo), and it dips below that when I go full throttle and then returns to 7.8 etc (safe voltages) when I return to neutral.

My question is: Should i be concerned about this, and set throttle limits so it literally NEVER dips below that number? Or is that to be expected and I shouldn't worry?

If it is of concern, how can I resolve the issue so my voltage stays above 6.8 or whatever is safe? Bigger motor, different ESC, etc...

Thanks for reading, excited to be here!

what you cutoff is reading .is the battery underload... battery will be ok .. at end voltage you could go lower in cutoff and still be safe.

Ok, so I should only be concerned about the battery voltage at neutral?

On my transmitter, I set my alarm to go off at 6.5 volts (i'm running a 2S lipo), and it dips below that when I go full throttle and then returns to 7.8 etc (safe voltages) when I return to neutral.

My question is: Should i be concerned about this, and set throttle limits so it literally NEVER dips below that number? Or is that to be expected and I shouldn't worry?

If it is of concern, how can I resolve the issue so my voltage stays above 6.8 or whatever is safe? Bigger motor, different ESC, etc...

Thanks for reading, excited to be here!
Welcome to the asylum, as i like to say. As for voltages, and, i could be wrong, but running under 3.2V per cell for more than a few seconds isnt good for the battery. As for your transmitter, are you absolutely sure it is reading correctly? Since it is a mini, you might not have room for one, but, if you do, i would get one of these as a backup: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Voltage-Tester-Monitor-Checker/dp/B08832NJ9Z You can then attach it to the car with velcro, and plug it into the battery as a second way to monitor it while running.

Voltage drop under load is fine. It seems to be a crappy battery if it drops that much, though. So the way to solve your problem would be to get a better pack. Just make sure it's above 3.2V/cell when done driving.

Id go as far to say as long as its not dipping under 6V under load, I wouldnt worry about it. Putting smaller tires on it would help or as Nino said, a better quality battery might help but it will be hard to find one the right size for that car without modding the battery tray a bit.

I'm running some protek 2s 1100 mah 50C batteries, so a higher C value you think?

I would have to dip into LiHV, i'll check my ESC to make sure thats ok.

Can I charge those on a balance charger under the LiPo setting and just pretend theyre a LiPo?

As far as smaller tires go, I would love some suggestions as to what kind of tires to get... I'm looking for some road tires for my mini-B, my carpet tires got shredded after one race on asphalt...

I'm running some protek 2s 1100 mah 50C batteries, so a higher C value you think?

I would have to dip into LiHV, i'll check my ESC to make sure thats ok.

Can I charge those on a balance charger under the LiPo setting and just pretend theyre a LiPo?

As far as smaller tires go, I would love some suggestions as to what kind of tires to get... I'm looking for some road tires for my mini-B, my carpet tires got shredded after one race on asphalt...
Protek batteries are crap. Look at Liperior (not the Endurance line), CNHL (G+ series), Zippy compact, Turnigy, or SMC.

Not sure about tires, I'm using stock tires. Maybe one of the other mini B people can answer that one.

This is referred as "voltage sag" where a higher C rated battery will tend to have less sag under load. Lower quality batteries are going to be perfectly fine for a "basher" but there are some "race grade" batteries that are very expensive which are designed to have almost no sag under load. For a basher there comes a point of diminishing return on the expense to sag ratio where a 50C pack is "adequate"

Greywolf has posted some "Sag Ratings" on various brands of batteries here, I would encourage you to bookmark this resource:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/lipo-comparison-thread-lipo-and-nimh-aas.136829/post-1368906

I have grown to trust Zeee Premiums for my open mod classes as my preferred "best bang for the buck":
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=zeee

For stock racing where voltage sag is crucial I run Trinity White Carbon packs for a "discriminating racer":
https://www.teamtrinity.com/whitecarbon