Battery question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

absosecur

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I just got my grandson an aarma vortek blx with 3s battery. The connector on batteriez is not correct. The car has an ic5 plug. Is that what i search for on batteries or ec5. Does the small third wire on the car plug have to be used. Thanks for any help.

IC5 and EC5 can go together so they can work together

The small third wire in the battery is the SMART balance port for the spektrum smart charger.

IC5 and EC5 can go together so they can work together

The small third wire in the battery is the SMART balance port for the spektrum smart charger.
Thanks. I have a hitec rdx 1 pro. Could i use it to charge with.

If it's a spektrum smart battery, no you have to use a spektrum smart charger with it.

I am so disappointed i even got this cause its more money to have to buy a charger all over again.

Yep, that's sadly on why I hate smart technology

Or

Unless someone makes like a adapter for the spektrum batteries to use on regular ordinary chargers. I seen it done with Traxxas batteries, but not sure on spektrum

@Greywolf74 , @WickedFog and @tntpoof might know 🤷

Hold on, are you talking about the third wire on the ESC for the car? If yes, idk about that wire, probably doesn't need to be used. If it's a third wire on the battery, it's for the spektrum smart tech.
Picture of the battery and ESC could be helpful.

Last edited:
If the ESC in the car has an IC5 connector, you can use any battery with an EC5 (that little third pin on the car is the only difference).

You can charge any standard LiPo battery on your charger, you just need a lead that matches your charger on one end and the battery on the other end (EC5). The balance lead on the battery will plug into the balance port on your charger.

Traxxas and Spektrum brand LiPos use their own version of a balance lead, which is that little center pin on the Vorteks, those batteries require a family charger, or an adapter to break out the cell balance lead from their proprietary connectors.

If the ESC in the car has an IC5 connector, you can use any battery with an EC5 (that little third pin on the car is the only difference).

You can charge any standard LiPo battery on your charger, you just need a lead that matches your charger on one end and the battery on the other end (EC5). The balance lead on the battery will plug into the balance port on your charger.

Traxxas and Spektrum brand LiPos use their own version of a balance lead, which is that little center pin on the Vorteks, those batteries require a family charger, or an adapter to break out the cell balance lead from their proprietary connectors.
Yea what he said ^

Yep, that's sadly on why I hate smart technology

Or

Unless someone makes like a adapter for the spektrum batteries to use on regular ordinary chargers. I seen it done with Traxxas batteries, but not sure on spektrum

@Greywolf74 , @WickedFog and @tntpoof might know 🤷

Hold on, are you talking about the third wire on the ESC for the car? If yes, idk about that wire, probably doesn't need to be used. If it's a third wire on the battery, it's for the spektrum smart tech.
Picture of the battery and ESC could be helpful.
Its the wire on the plug from the truck which i have found out is not really nessecary.
Yea what he said ^
Yea what he said ^
Ok thanks i ordered some ec5 connectors earlier so i should be good with those from my charger. Thanks

Pictures of your gear would help. Some spektrum lipos have balance plugs and some do not but like 9x19 said, use EC5 connectors on the lipos an ude the ic5 on the esc and the charger can charge non spektrum lipos too

Back