Battery change

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truck 87

RC Newbie
Reaction score

Is it possible to make some sort of converter to use a 12v battery in an RC car that's meant to use a 7.4v battery?​

No not really

Unless you change out the ESC and motor that is capable of 3s LiPo (12.6v max)

Edit: Nvm, @tntpoof gots you

Last edited:
Converters and regulators are going to be very current-limited, much like a BEC (same thing, really) - the ones linked can only do 3-5 amps, an RC car can pull 10x that much. Not to mention the added size and inefficieny, losing 10% or more of your power as heat in the converter.

Converters and regulators are going to be very current-limited, much like a BEC (same thing, really) - the ones linked can only do 3-5 amps, an RC car can pull 10x that much. Not to mention the added size and inefficieny, losing 10% or more of your power as heat in the converter.

You just need a bigger regulator. I've designed ones that will carry a few hundred amps. The problem is you will spend a lot of money, much more than batteries to make it work. Then you have to mount it and figure out why the noisy ESC is messing up the switching regulator. It all adds up to time. However, efficiency should be >> 90% these days for a good switcher and the heat shouldn't be too bad, but it's something to be considered.

Even though it's possible, it is generally a bad idea.

I never said it was a good idea. I just dont know why a hobbyist would need to do this .when batteries are so cheap these days..

If you use it as a 3s battery substitute you'll need to use a 4s ESC. The voltage right off the charger may be too high for a 2/3s ESC.

lead acid battery is 14.7 volts.automotive battery