Bat Safe? Is this a good idea?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good points, you can never be too careful when dealing with things of this nature. 👍

We are all in denial until some horrible thing happens and we become the statistic we read about. 😕

What I take away from that Bat-safe video is… DON’T!!! over load your Bat-safe!
ALWAYS FOLLOW MANUFACTURERS SPECS!!

That said, I’m not as concerned with storing them as I’ve never heard of them spontaneously combusting. My biggest fear and concern is whilst they are charging. Most fires I’ve seen or heard of were either during charging or in use.
So, I always charge my packs in a Bat-safe and stay within eye and ear shot just in case.

I cautioned above in an earlier post, the local racer in question is Tyler Hooks:
https://blog.teknorc.com/2018/08/24/tyler-hooks-wins-13-5-4wd-roar-nationals/

Anyway, ask him for more details if you like, but his garage was a total loss after a battery had spontaneously combusted within a few hours after he returned from the race track. No apparent damage from any of his batteries, no cracked cases, no swollen cells, all batteries were in good working condition and no notable crashes on the track. He stored all of his batteries together in a plastic rolling tool box. It created a chain reaction, fortunately the fire department was able to put out the fire in the garage before it had spread to the home, but all the contents of the garage and roof of the garage were completely burnt to the ground.

Takeaway for me are

1) Do not store any batteries close together so you don't risk a chain reaction
2) Keep batteries in a cool/dry place, preferably inside an HVAC home
3) Ensure the storage space can be ventilated (open window) in the rare event a fire erupts
This was our house after a fire that was either from lipo's, or electrical, or, a combination of both: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/lost-everything-in-a-fire-today.135099/ The fire started in the living room, where i had nearly a dozen lipo's sitting, and, when it first started, it had that same orange color that most lipo fires do, and, after the investigation, i learned that you can never be too safe with them, because, as the fire investigator said, even if they didnt start it, they certainly made it much, much worse, because they werent in a fire proof container.

This was our house after a fire that was either from lipo's, or electrical, or, a combination of both: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/lost-everything-in-a-fire-today.135099/ The fire started in the living room, where i had nearly a dozen lipo's sitting, and, when it first started, it had that same orange color that most lipo fires do, and, after the investigation, i learned that you can never be too safe with them, because, as the fire investigator said, even if they didnt start it, they certainly made it much, much worse, because they werent in a fire proof container.
Oh man that is just heartbreaking, very glad to hear no injuries, but just so sad to hear that you had to go through this :(

Back