Tamiya actually came out with a true hobbygrade kit for once

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukedavis

Hardcore RCTalk User
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Boating
Tamiya’s new TA08R chassis kit looks very cool! Belt driven, aluminum servo mounts, aluminum steering bell cranks, aluminum suspension mounts and wheel hex hubs, TRF Big-Bore Dampeners, NEW-Carbon Upper Deck, New-Aluminum Motor Mount, Rear Aluminum Suspension Mounts, Aluminum Universal Drive Shafts, A-Type Suspension Arms, and NEW-Aluminum Rear Body Post Stand Offs. Also has carbon fiber shock towers, and is 4wd with mid motor and belt driven. Seems pretty cool! Comes as a kit. Plastics look like good quality too! Here’s a link to the car for more info: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-4wd-belt-drive-road-ta/rc-110-ta08r-chassis-kit/

OMG the price kills it.
Yep

It looks like such a cool platform though!

They also have a touring car with front inboard shocks but I think it’s priced at around $800

Holy crap dude. Look at these prices for 1/10 on roads…
IMG_2593.png
IMG_2592.png
IMG_2591.png

At least I think they are 1/10

They should be all 1/10. Look at Xray prices. But Xray is actual quality stuff. Trying to think of other onroad brands. Tamyia 1. Awsomematixs I think. Serpent. Muegen.

By the way, this is nothing new. Tamiya has had a chassis just like this out for years. Some versions of the kit (minus electronics) even hit $800+. Why anyone would buy this over a tricked out Mugen, Yokimo, MST, etc is beyond me.

Cut the price by 80% and it might be worth it.
I still wouldn't recommend it for the very same reasons explained here:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/new-tamiya-xv-02rs-pro-chassis-kit.141437/post-1427787

*** UPDATE
actually the option parts for the TA08R aren't half bad, but the pricing is way out of line, normally you see this with deep discounts for sponsored drivers, but TRF is gone so I don't really see the point of what they're doing with this pricing model :(

Last edited:
Yea. Don't get it. On my TT02 I just bent 3 stub axle pins for the hex from just testing it.
Also it will not drive smoothly. I had to add a BUNCH of grease to those axles hubs and plastic bushing things. Yuck.

Last edited:
Yea. Don't get it. On my TT02 I just bent 3 stub axle pins for the hex from just testing it.
Also it will not drive smoothly. I added a BUNCH of grease to those axles hubs and plastic bushing things. Yuck.
Friends don't let friends run bushings.

I'm in the process of trimming the "fat" from my fleet, and I feel like I'll wing up with just one or two Tamiyas at the end of the day. Chinese companies do the whole "slow, scale" thing much better, and cheaper.

20240120_152445.jpg

Friends don't let friends run bushings.

I'm in the process of trimming the "fat" from my fleet, and I feel like I'll wing up with just one or two Tamiyas at the end of the day. Chinese companies do the whole "slow, scale" thing much better, and cheaper.

View attachment 184648
Ooh
I just noticed that was a bushing in his right eye

Well anyways I fixed that issue. Just add grease over the whole car.