Axial Wraith keeps burning up motors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobaloohoo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So about a week back I was running my wraith hardcore through the mud and hillclimbing and my motor went up in smoke. It was not a surprise because of the extra load of mud and such, so I decided I would go out and get a 27 turn motor and try and have less heating issues.... It didnt help anything, I dont know why all of a sudden the wraith wanted to eat up the motor with less than 12 minutes run time, it was my brand new 27 turn motor.

I'm running stock ESC in Lipo mode with 2s lipo 35c. 27 turn HPI motor and a digital coreless high torque 180OZ savox servo with no weights in the tires and no aftermarket aluminum and stock gearing. When the 27 turn burnt out I was rock crawling on some VERY grippy rocks and cement.

Could anyone tell me the possible reasons that it has burn up 2 motors in such a short period of time? the Lipo is under the maximum rating for the ESC so thats all good there. Gearing?? motor turn?? servo?? anything would be helpful. I am stumped.

Start off by checking your driveline for binding, if something is binding it will cause heat issues. Forget what the advertisement says, stock gearing is good for flat surfaces.

now i did loosen up my pinion/spur mesh a little, there was no play in it whatsoever. What other binding shall i check alltogether? This is my first crawler so I dont know every key point.

and it also seemed like it barely had any power at all before it started smoking

SMaxxin is dead on, stock gearing is not suited for crawling with stock motors as you've found out. If you want to stay with cheap stock motors, you need 5:1 or better ratio, 84/16 is used by a lot of guys with good success. I actually run 5:1 gearing with an aftermarket two speed transmission that has a lower ratio than stock in low range.

Most of the guys run either a 45t or 55t motor around here for crawling with the stock gearing and either 2s or 3s LiPo.

I put a dewalt 14v drill motor in, soldered the motor wires directly to the esc wires and put my stock servo back in until i get a BEC and going to the hobby shop tomorrow and grabbing an 87 tooth spur and 14 tooth pinion and I'm ready to roll. I tried to overheat the motor on purpose and it wouldnt eve get warm with the direct connection.

---------- Post added at 8:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:56 PM ----------

I put a dewalt 14v drill motor in, soldered the motor wires directly to the esc wires and put my stock servo back in until i get a BEC and going to the hobby shop tomorrow and grabbing an 87 tooth spur and 14 tooth pinion and I'm ready to roll. I tried to overheat the motor on purpose and it wouldnt eve get warm with the direct connection.

I have a digital corless 200OZ servo that drained so much power it was stupid...