Axial D.I.G. upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplej

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the new upgrade for the wraith. I havent found a retailer that has it in stock yet and i was looking for some real user feedback. Thanks.

I've not seen anything about it but if its a dig unit then it will be pretty straight forward. You would need a servo, I'm guessing mini but not positive on that since I've not seen it yet.

I'm in the process of building one now, but have not quite settled on an esc motor combination. From what I've seen so far the stock 20t setup is not quite up to my expectations, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm pretty much settled on Castle but any input would be great.

It gives you the option to lock up the front axel so only your front tires are driving the truck and allows you to dig your front tires down and pull the rear of the truck over an obstacle. Now no one critisize me I am giving this info from using a double transfer case on a full size real truck to have the dig option on trails. So go ahead and correct me if I am wrong but dont yell at me lol

No. You're right. The upgrade allows much for flexibility in terms of operation of the drivetrain. Directed to j.m. blue, are there many rc crawler organizations down in the tidewater area? I'm just an hour or two norheast of you in general vicinity of richmond and there are not a large amount of "organized" tracks up this way. Lots of space but not very many areas specifically set up for racing or crawling, that I have run across yet.

Blue, what kind of rig do you run and what kind of results have you received? I'm mostly bashing right now as I dont have a serious rig, only a low end 1/8 scale. I'm getting into the crawling as well because I have the speed pretty much covered with a slash 6808 upgraded to ultimate package and a a 6808 with the monster 2200 kv, so I've pretty much got the 4x4 sc truck category basically covered, but Id like a team associated 2wd or maybe hpi or venom for 2wswd because I have two slashes, but who knows? I'm trying to decide whether to go with an axial scorpion or something else because I'm building a wraith from the kit now. Apologies for being so long winded here but I'm really getting into building and a spot to run/race/whatever would be cool.

If you don't need a hardcore crawler, a scaler like the SCX-10 or the Wraith is a good choice.

I'm thinking of something hardcore after I'm done building the wraith which I'll bash and trail and crawl. What do you prefer in a hardcore crawler designation?

I have this same question J I see alot of scx10's around but am not sure what is considered a hardcore crawler. I mean i have seen some awsome looking rigs on rc4x4.com but the price on some of the just kits are pretty high so I would like more info before spending some big bucks.

Yeah. No disagreement there. The site says their discontinued, but have you seen the " Pimp Cane " chassis setup for clod axles? I wonder how it performs.

Any thing clod based is EXTREMELY out dated. Even ax10 axials are outdated in terms of a good crawler. All the scx10 based rigs and the wraiths are Scalers, meant to look like a scale version of a 1:1 rig. They are not made to perform like a "hardcore crawler". As far as that term being used, a competition crawler is where it can be applied. A Berg, Bully or XR10 are all comp crawlers, using motor on axle instead of transmission and drive shafts.
The wraith would out perform a scx10, but not even come close to hitting the lines a well setup Berg or xr10 could.

Stay away from the pimp cane! My buddy ran a pimp cane and took a dive 4ft down and bent the crap out of it, worthless chassis IMO, I love East End Machining products along with RC4WD & CKRC

I want a SubZ with my tax return or a Timberwolf, and holy hell I didnt see dual shocks I think front and back?! Awesomesauce!

see killer thats what i said. lol Only if I had caught you in time for the wraith trade I wouldn't be thinking about this 700 dollar piece of awesomeness all day. :hehe:

I also like the king of the hammer kit. I have a 78 chevrolet k20 and a tube chassis buggy I built myself and use for rock crawling and offroading at a few local parks here in Texas and it blows my mind how much these hardcore crawlers compare to my real life sized rigs I actually drive. I mean you can even get the same arb dana 60 axels I have in my chevy. And Hell they have the pitbull tires on rc4wd.com that I have on my buggy. Its so awesome.

Last edited:
Hey j.t. that rig looks tough as goat guts. I too would be interested in some user feedback. Thanks for the input slowngreen. What would you build as a crawler that would be capable of competition? Berg or xr10?

I've had both, but am back to berg now. The xr10 would be way easier for a new comer to get started with though. They come as a kit, needing electronics and tires. Go with Sedona, rover or boss claw tires. Two 35 or 45t motors. Electronic dig...OR two esc's with a futaba 4pk, 4pl or hacked Fly Sky gt3 radio.

Check out the crawler section...

---------- Post added at 4:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:00 PM ----------

To get into a crawler that does well, and has dig for cheaper, the Losi Comp Crawler is a good entry level choice, it is also a kit...

http://www.rpphobby.com/Losi_Comp_Crawler_p/losa0051.htm

Blue, what kind of rig do you run and what kind of results have you received? I'm mostly bashing right now as I dont have a serious rig, only a low end 1/8 scale. I'm getting into the crawling as well because I have the speed pretty much covered with a slash 6808 upgraded to ultimate package and a a 6808 with the monster 2200 kv, so I've pretty much got the 4x4 sc truck category basically covered, but Id like a team associated 2wd or maybe hpi or venom for 2wswd because I have two slashes, but who knows? I'm trying to decide whether to go with an axial scorpion or something else because I'm building a wraith from the kit now. Apologies for being so long winded here but I'm really getting into building and a spot to run/race/whatever would be cool.

No. You're right. The upgrade allows much for flexibility in terms of operation of the drivetrain. Directed to j.m. blue, are there many rc crawler organizations down in the tidewater area? I'm just an hour or two norheast of you in general vicinity of richmond and there are not a large amount of "organized" tracks up this way. Lots of space but not very many areas specifically set up for racing or crawling, that I have run across yet.

Try to get a reply back to you both at once.. I do not know of any organized truck groups, I can't even find anyone that wants to run trucks. I have put post on Craigslist searched every RC forum for near by people and no luck. There is a track close it is about 40 minutes away and is 100 dollars a year or 10 dollars a day per driver. There are a few parks here one in particular Bennett’s Creek park. A lot of wide open area and some off road stuff, I do have a short video of one of my Summits there. I went back a time or two it is fun just no one to run with. But my trucks include :

1/10 Summit
1/10 Summit with Slayer suspension
Slash 4x4
Mini Summit
EMBE
E-Revo
2x Stampede 4x4’s
Got to finish my build of the 1/16 E-Revo

Here is a link to a thread I started when I came here.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93431

And yes I am looking for a crawler as a proud and loving Summit owner it is a world of fun but not a Crawler in any means.. Good climber though *L* I can't decide what way to go, I like the Axial stuff it looks good but if I do a crawler I am shooting for as close to 100% Scale as I can go most likely a Jeep Wrangler, seen a really nice build that I loved. Will have to try and find a link.

Not the one I was looking for but.. I really like this set up.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVw0acsAmms&feature=related"]RC 4wd Jeep Trail Finder For sale 1.9 scale truck SOLD!! - YouTube[/ame]

Looks good anyway. Kind of want something I can play with inside, in the garage. I am in the Coast Guard and get transferred every few years so never going to be in one place to long. Also being on a boat underway for two months at a time I kind ok want something like this that I can carry with me when I go, small enough to fit in my rack and can break it out when in ports and play some

Last edited:
Back