Away with nitro!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeabajuice

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys. I bought a gt2 last Christmas because I thought nitro was my thing but it is not. I have had so many problems that I just left it in my garage for almost half a year. Now, I am going to sell it and move on to electric. I want to get the electric version of the gt2, the T4.1 rtr brushless. I heard that it is a great car for the price. What do you guys think?

Hey guys. I bought a gt2 last Christmas because I thought nitro was my thing but it is not. I have had so many problems that I just left it in my garage for almost half a year. Now, I am going to sell it and move on to electric. I want to get the electric version of the gt2, the T4.1 rtr brushless. I heard that it is a great car for the price. What do you guys think?

don't give up on nitro so fast. I bought a t-maxx several years ago and to had several problems and gave up on it. my son then got interested and we dusted it off put a new engine on it,and this time around other than breaking stuff the truck runs great. nitros are fickle machines,but for me nothing beats hearing a well tuned nitro ripping up what ever surface it's on. the nitros for pure speed are no match for the new electric trucks though

I'm personally not too familiar with that rig but going electric will keep you in this hobby and will keep you having fun. Id so go for it. Theres lots of brushless rtr rigs out now too so you might look around at some others too.

I recently went electric also. I sold off a couple of my nitros that were sitting on the shelf as projects but I kept my true love, my Savage. I don't know if I could ever sell that thing. I don't use it much but still love to hear that nitro engine sing it's high rev song as all 4 tires engage start throwing dirt and mud. BUT I must say that I have a love for the grab and go simplicity of electric and now that I installed a brushless, the instant torqe. I bought a Losi XXX-SCB and a couple lipos and now all I have to do is make sure they are charged up and out the door I go. No gallon of fuel, no glow starters, no roto start, and best of all no worrying about whether she'll start or decide to just piss me off for no reason. Plus the 2s2p battery seems to last for ever between charges.

As for the T4.1, what do you plan to do with it? I absolutely love stadium trucks, but finding a track that still has others racing them seems near impossible in smaller areas. But if you want to go to the track to mess around and run laps with others there just goofin off then that truck would be awesome. But if your wanting to race in a class one day then consider a SCT or buggy. Also check on parts availability. I know AE is vastly popular and every hobby shop carries there parts, but just double check and make sure parts for this car are available to save your self some headaches in the future. I call my local shops and see who carries what and when I break something, I know which direction to head without calling around.

dont sell the nitro!! I bet you give it a few months of running electric you will pull the old nitro out and start tinkering with it as soon as you find a bigger and better engine and a few other odds and ends to make it alittle more your style!!! You will see... I love my electrics and was letting my maxx's sit around for a while but I dont know what I woulda done if I would of sold it!!! Now it has a picco .26 and it will be on a new chassis as of friday and I will start the break in process!!! I can't wait!!!

So definetly make sure you wont want to pull it back out and rebuild it before you sell it off!! Good luck.. The traxxas slash vxl is pretty sweet truck I have one with a C.C. sidewinder esc. and 5700kv motor.. I am waiting for my SV2 esc. to get exchanged and putting that back on...

I will buy your GT2 if you decide that you must get rid of it, I will use it for a spare parts rig for the GT2 I have coming in the mail, can't freakin wait! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I would sell it to you if you are positive you want to buy it. The engine is brand new. I only drove it once. It has a brand new futaba servo in it because the ae one was defected. It has a fail safe in it. I will give you the xp2 radio, the glow plug, the body(no scratches), the fuel bottle, and a gallon of byron's 20% fuel if you want it.

Can't mail fuel without paying hazmat fee. Not worth mailing a $25-$30 jug of fuel then paying a $25 hazmat fee.

how much for the gt2 if HPI-KILLER does not want it
how about some pics of everything included
pics with body off and bottom of chassis

I recently went electric also. I sold off a couple of my nitros that were sitting on the shelf as projects but I kept my true love, my Savage. I don't know if I could ever sell that thing. I don't use it much but still love to hear that nitro engine sing it's high rev song as all 4 tires engage start throwing dirt and mud. BUT I must say that I have a love for the grab and go simplicity of electric and now that I installed a brushless, the instant torqe. I bought a Losi XXX-SCB and a couple lipos and now all I have to do is make sure they are charged up and out the door I go. No gallon of fuel, no glow starters, no roto start, and best of all no worrying about whether she'll start or decide to just piss me off for no reason. Plus the 2s2p battery seems to last for ever between charges.

As for the T4.1, what do you plan to do with it? I absolutely love stadium trucks, but finding a track that still has others racing them seems near impossible in smaller areas. But if you want to go to the track to mess around and run laps with others there just goofin off then that truck would be awesome. But if your wanting to race in a class one day then consider a SCT or buggy. Also check on parts availability. I know AE is vastly popular and every hobby shop carries there parts, but just double check and make sure parts for this car are available to save your self some headaches in the future. I call my local shops and see who carries what and when I break something, I know which direction to head without calling around.

I am also a very big fan of stadium trucks. It is pretty much going to be my basher.

Last edited:
Losi makes great stadium nitros. Speed NT and xxx NT are awesome. I just mailed my xxx-NT to hpikiller. Very fair person to work with, hope you guys work something out

Just be careful with lipo batteries. They can be just as or more dangerous than Nitromethane could or would be!! And you don't have to charge up nitro!!
I just sold off all my electric airplane gear to buy another Nitro vehicle.

do a google/you tube search on lipo fires.

Anything can be more or less dangerous. Boils down to not being an idiot and take the right precautions and you'll be fine. Can lipos be more dangerous, yes. If I'm safe with storing and use of my fuel and you charge your lipos at a higher amperage then they should be and drain lower then whats safe, yes you are at high risk. But if your stupid with nitro your in just as much, if not more, trouble. You can find videos of lipo fires, but you can find alot more fuel fires. Either one catching fire in your house is bad news for you and everyone around you. Being safe means being smart.

Thanks for the advice but I probably won't be getting any lipo batteries anytime soon so all should be ok.

Hey guys. I bought a gt2 last Christmas because I thought nitro was my thing but it is not. I have had so many problems that I just left it in my garage for almost half a year.

what kind of problems did you have?
was it just learing about nitro or problems with the car?

Well I had to replace the reciever box, and my servo. They all work now. I also just did not have the time to tune it and do all other sorts of stuff and it got me so frustrated.