Attention Drone Flyer's - Looking for a Little Advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My grandson (10) wants a drone for Christmas. I haven't been into rc a lot lately and definitely not drones! I am looking for some advice a decent quality starter for him.
We gave him a cheap little heli recently and not that they are excessively hard to fly, he took to it really quick and does quite well with it.
Anyone got some good recommendations for a drone?

My grandson (10) wants a drone for Christmas. I haven't been into rc a lot lately and definitely not drones! I am looking for some advice a decent quality starter for him.
We gave him a cheap little heli recently and not that they are excessively hard to fly, he took to it really quick and does quite well with it.
Anyone got some good recommendations for a drone?
Sup Racer! I would think anything by DJI or Blade would be good. I did a little stint with quads a few years back. wasn't my cup of tea. That being said, FPV Racing drones might get me back in it, those things look fun!

Sup Racer! I would think anything by DJI or Blade would be good. I did a little stint with quads a few years back. wasn't my cup of tea. That being said, FPV Racing drones might get me back in it, those things look fun!
Hey Bro! Yeah I knew DJI would be good but I was hoping for more of budget option. I forgot about Blade, duh! What about those Holy Stone?
He tends to change interest real quick so it's kind of a double edged sword - a poor quality one may not last long enough to peak his interest were as an expensive unit may last longer but still not keep him interested.

I have 3 Emax Tinyhawk drones that are pretty fun. They don't have a lot of range though, and I was hoping to use them outdoors, so we don'tplsy with them much at all. Got them all pretty cheap off ebay.

If you buy a DJI drone, they have a pretty good resale value if he loses interest, as long as the drone is still in good shape. But depending on his skill level, anything like that is a dangerous drone for kids to play with. I would share some pics of people who have had their arms completely shredded by a drone, but they are too gruesome to share here. You did say he picked up the heli controls pretty quick, but I don't think I would go with any open prop drone for a kiddo. They are very dangerous.

I would suggest a tiny whoop of some sort. They can be had pretty cheap, and are pretty safe. Check out FPV Futures on YT. He does a lot of drone reviews.

Last edited:
Hey Bro! Yeah I knew DJI would be good but I was hoping for more of budget option. I forgot about Blade, duh! What about those Holy Stone?
He tends to change interest real quick so it's kind of a double edged sword - a poor quality one may not last long enough to peak his interest were as an expensive unit may last longer but still not keep him interested.
I gotchya. Unfortunately I've only ever dabbled in aerial stuff and not in a number of years so I'm afraid I'm not too sure about any other brands.

Back