Arrma Felony ESC cutting out

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samsonite1220

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hey gents. I am new to the RC world. I bought a used Arrma felony 6s. With the 16T pinion gear I got about 57mph. I put in a 21T pinion gear using the paper mesh method. When I went to drive it (batteries fully charged) it ran for maybe passes and then went into a kind of limp mode. The ESC was flashing red. I shut everything off and turned it back on. Again, it was good for a pass or two and then went into limp mode with the ESC flashing red. I turned everything off. switched the pinion gear back to the 16T and it ran like a champ. Is there a setting that needs to change on the ESC when running higher tooth pinion gears? Thanks for your help and time guys. I am way too addicted to these things.

It's probably thermal shutdown because with the high gearing it's not meant to be bashed or for multiple back to back pulls. Or it could be LVC because of the Amps that it's having to pull from your lipos and voltage sag is putting it under LVC voltage causing it to think it's low voltage. Check out the Arrma forum we can help you out!
Edit: Always watch your motor temps! Don't let it get above 180°F or it can cause damage to the rotor and can magnets.

Thermal shut off. The 21t is for 1 or two passes only, then you let it rest. A way to fix that is to run a smaller pinion gear.

It's probably thermal shutdown because with the high gearing it's not meant to be bashed or for multiple back to back pulls. Or it could be LVC because of the Amps that it's having to pull from your lipos and voltage sag is putting it under LVC voltage causing it to think it's low voltage. Check out the Arrma forum we can help you out!
Edit: Always watch your motor temps! Don't let it get above 180°F or it can cause damage to the rotor and can magnets.
Awesome. Thank you very much. I will head over to the Arrma forum. I thought that's where I was! My bad.
Thermal shut off. The 21t is for 1 or two passes only, then you let it rest. A way to fix that is to run a smaller pinion gear.
Gotcha. I thought the car was good to go 80mph out of the box with the optional pinion gear. I bought it used and the guy didn't have that. I thought it was a 27T pinion gear. I am guessing that too is only for 1 or 2 runs? Thanks for the help.

Awesome. Thank you very much. I will head over to the Arrma forum. I thought that's where I was! My bad.

Gotcha. I thought the car was good to go 80mph out of the box with the optional pinion gear. I bought it used and the guy didn't have that. I thought it was a 27T pinion gear. I am guessing that too is only for 1 or 2 runs? Thanks for the help.
All good. It's great to have two questions on different sites so that you get more people's feedback! This is a great place to post your questions and the people here will help you out!

What is happening more than likely is the ESC is cutting out due to Amp limiting or triggering LVC. With taller gearing and squeezing the trigger it causes Amp spikes that will be over spektrums 150A rating and cause the ESC to protect itself by going into limp mode. Also as mentioned above could be LVC getting triggered due to voltage sagging under 3.4v per cell while holding throttle.

What is happening more than likely is the ESC is cutting out due to Amp limiting or triggering LVC. With taller gearing and squeezing the trigger it causes Amp spikes that will be over spektrums 150A rating and cause the ESC to protect itself by going into limp mode. Also as mentioned above could be LVC getting triggered due to voltage sagging under 3.4v per cell while holding throttle.
Are amp spikes what those cap packs are for? Thanks for the info.