Arrma big rock 3s recommended Shock oil WT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fernando_m

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am doing my big rocks yearly maintenance and my shock oil was all nasty and I decided to change it, but, I drive it hard over rocks and thought it needed to be stiffer, what shock oil should I use and what other upgrades should I install for chassis and a-arm protection?

40 or 45wt should work, 40wt is stock with the Typhon 3s and it works great!

If you want stiffer go with 50 or 55. As far as the chassis goes, you could look into Tbone Racing for a protector IF they still make them or have a metal brace made....I think if you look up on Ebay for "Big Rock chassis brace" there is a company that used to make some for the LWB chassis.

A-arm protection? The only thing you can do is upgrade to RPM arms once you break the stock arms. The RPM arms are a bit more flexible meaning they can take more of a beating before breaking :)

With the arms, you could probably design and 3d print some guards. If you don’t have a printer, there are many 3d printing services you could pay for.

Welcome yo the forum.

You can soak your stock arms in WD40 to soften them up a bit and make them hold up to more punishment. Or buy RPM arms for it.

Welcome aboard, I have seen people make their own A-arm protectors, just cut some plastic to shape and zip tie them on.

Welcome to RCTalk!

If you put stiffer shock fluid in it then the suspension is going to have a harder time absorbing the impact from the tires hitting the rocks which will lead to a more bounce. I dont think that is the effect you probably want. The only reason to add thicker shock oil would be if the shocks are bottoming out when going over rough terrain.

If your running the stock shocks still I'd suggest ≈40wt. I highly suggest upgrading to Kraton 6s front shocks in the rear and Mojave front shocks for the front with 50wt. Here is my Bigrock build on the Arrma Forum if you want to check it out for some ideas on upgrades etc. Also here's my last video with it newly upgraded to 4s👍🏼 https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/edoughs-rc-bigrock-build.41205/

If your running the stock shocks still I'd suggest ≈40wt. I highly suggest upgrading to Kraton 6s front shocks in the rear and Mojave front shocks for the front with 50wt. Here is my Bigrock build on the Arrma Forum if you want to check it out for some ideas on upgrades etc. Also here's my last video with it newly upgraded to 4s👍🏼 https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/edoughs-rc-bigrock-build.41205/

subscribed, and my goodness, that big rock is sick.

Back