around what temp range should we be staying to prolong engine life for a .28?

• Thread starter pelicanprentice
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

pelicanprentice

RCNT Racer
Reaction score
hello, i know this has been discussed 1000 times but i just wanted to discuss in 2021, maybe things changed. so i have a savage x 4.6 and i used to use 20% nitro however i just bought a nitro with 30% nitro and 9% oil, i know the oil might be a tad lower but my reasoning was just to run a tad richer and should be the same thing as running more oil.
ever since i put this in my truck it started to wheelie!! so it of course is making a bit more power. however strictly to keep my engine running tip top and prolong the life, what temp range should i be at?

thanks!

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Most manufacturers suggest between about 240-280F. Personally I'll let mine go to about 280-290F Once its starts hitting that 280 mark then I start trying to make adjustments to cool it down.

Last edited:

monstertruckier15

RCNT Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
They you that so you burn your engine up faster. Sure it runs great but it will bite you later. You should read the link I posted it's very informative.

olds97_lss

RCNT VIP
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I don't run nitro much anymore, but I've had engines that run fine at 280 (traxxas) and others that run fine at 220, but most seem to run around 240F-270F when they are running well. I try to go by sound, power and smoke output with temps being something I check to see where that engine is at when it looks, feels and sounds like it's running well. Oddly, mine rarely have a ton of smoke output. I've seen videos where there's a smoke screen following the RC's it seems. Not sure if it's the fuel I run or if I just run on the lean side. The mess coming out of the pipe would suggest I don't too lean.

I've run byrons 25% nitro for many years, but now that they no longer make fuel, I'll eventually try another brand. The gallon or so I have though will likely last me a couple years, or until it goes bad. It's not like it was back in the day when I'd go through 5-6 gallons a year.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
It's not like it was back in the day when I'd go through 5-6 gallons a year.
Man I feel this. 12 years ago when i first started in RC I rarely did anything else. fast forward 12 years and now I'm pushin 50, married, bought a house, and took a salaried supervisory position. Now I feel like I got very little time to do anything fun anymore and if I do I'm usually to tired to do it lol. Oh, almost forgot about the other hobby I picked up which is my 392 T/A. Even she barely gets driven. lol