Are clutch assemblies interchangeable

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azizidot

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m fair new to the hobby and recently the clutch assembly on my .18 sh engine was broken, the fly wheel, clutch shoes and Bell housing all needs replacing.

Because I own a very old model they no longer produce the clutch shoes so I’ve been looking online At alternatives. I’ve noticed that there is a wide range of different kits with 2 or 3 clutch shoes and vented bell housings however I am not sure if I am able to just buy any kit and install it?

Anyone able to give me some advice on this would be greatly appreciated

I personally was able to simply unmount the flywheel of my GX15 and mount it on a Toki .15 with no problems. It fitted like new.
Also, long time ago when my clutch got destroyed, I bought a pair of HPI Racing clutch shoes and a spring. They fit better than the original ones (lol). They worked great, but they worn out way to soon, probably because they were bigger than the original ones. I'll go for aluminium shoes next, see how they perform.

Back to your problem, what I did was take the engine to the shop and try out those clutch shoes on the spot, see if they fit. I guess this is your best bet.

Last edited:
All my cars are 1/8, (your .18 engine must be on a 1/10). I've found the clutches to be pretty much interchangeable. My kyoshos all have three aluminum shoes, that can be replaced by three HSP shoes (because they're cheap). I think any three shoes will fit. My HPIs have two nylon shoes surrounded by a spring. These can be replaced by HSP shoes (for about $2 au on ebay). I also have a Turnigy buggy. It aslo fits any of the above clutches. Even with the different shoe setups, the clutch bells can be swapped. If you want to take the whole lot, flywheel, shoes and bell, they can go on any car. I guess they're pretty much standard.
Except: I also have a Losi. It won't fit a standard clutch unless you fit a quick change engine mount (standard, it uses a longer clutch bell).
Probably the only problem I've had from assuming all these parts are standard is getting a flywheel that didn't match the cone that is on the shaft, behind it. That can make the whole clutch stick out too far, or not far enough. I'd suggest that if you get a flywheel for a 1/8 engine, try to get one that comes with that cone.
It's been a while since i had a 1/10. I don't think they have that brass cone anyway. Mine was a HSP. I didn't have it long enough to need a clutch.

Also noticed quite a bit of play in the clutch bell housing compared to my other Hong Nor X1CRT. Also it doesn't seem to have the same torque screw as my original Hong Nor. I'll see if I can get some pics together.

Back