Are China servos decent enough for a beginner who bashes for fun? Or is it dangerous?

• Thread starter pelicanprentice
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
I picked up a mg996r for a backup and my hpi servo seems to have quit so I was thinking on running this. Is it half decent for throttle atleast? Or will it have a mind of its own and basically mess something up?

the only thing i was thinking was lets say i have the mg996r on my throttle and it locks up onto wot or on throttle and is headed toward a wall and not responding to my remote, if i try to enable the failsafe what if it doesn't respond, then is this a good reason not to have a cheap servo for throttle? or am i thinking wrong

If not, what’s a decent servo for a savage x 4.6 for a good price?

Thx

isn't the failsafe to minimize run away crashes?. I ran 1 mg996 years ago it failed on 1st 1 foot jump on a stadium truck XXXT mf2 .. on carpet.. never ran the other . as far as damaging any electronics it will not unless you like to steer(lol). they might be ok now but when you say china servos aren't almost all servo made in china?. some sk might be a few in use..maybe even use a servo saver on ur rc

i haven't used the specific brand of servos that you are talking about, but i have had some very mixed results with the cheap amazon annimos i think was the brand.
so far out of 3, one was dead on arrival, one lasted 5 minutes, and the other so far is still running after half a gallon as the steering servo on my MGT.

as far as how a failed servo will work with the failsafe, that is kind of a concern all around, though i will say very rarely have i had a throttle/brake servo go out while driving, or that went completely dead. just make sure to test your electronics before you run, and set end points. if its really jumpy/jittery, or isnt centering correctly, or tries wandering, try to confirm if its the servo, or something else (swap channels, see if that servo is doing it or if the problem moved), if its the servo replace it.

I used one of those many years ago, wasn't very good. Didn't center well and overshot the EPA set at the radio by quite a bit inconsistently.

I've had pretty good luck with these though:
https://www.amazon.com/JX-DC5821LV-Waterproof-Mental-Crawler/dp/B079HZL171

Would work well on a nitro since it's 6V. I ran one for a year or so on my brushless revo for steering and another on my stampede 4x4 for steering. Not blisteringly fast, but not bad either and plenty of torque to stop a 1/8 MT (300oz). It's also waterproof. I'll won't run a non-waterproof servo again on anything, especially throttle/brake. Just isn't worth the hassle and risk of a run away since I do drive in wet conditions quite a bit.

I have a video here comparing it to a few others I had on hand while using a 6V NiMH pack:

Not the most scientific, but you can see the speed of it.

I picked up a mg996r for a backup and my hpi servo seems to have quit so I was thinking on running this. Is it half decent for throttle atleast? Or will it have a mind of its own and basically mess something up?

the only thing i was thinking was lets say i have the mg996r on my throttle and it locks up onto wot or on throttle and is headed toward a wall and not responding to my remote, if i try to enable the failsafe what if it doesn't respond, then is this a good reason not to have a cheap servo for throttle? or am i thinking wrong

If not, what’s a decent servo for a savage x 4.6 for a good price?

Thx
I have been running them for a while not with no problems. great for steering servo. You set up fail safe to apply brakes. Once set it will work 100% you can test it by turning off radio.

Back