Appropriate ESC / current ratings for a 2845-size motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudordewolf

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to make sense of the "max amps" rating on some brushless motors, and how they relate to the constant / peak current ratings of an ESC.

Most 1/16th scale ESC's recommend 24mm size motors and max out around 25-30 amps, and 1/10th scale ESC's recommend 36mm motors and offer 50-60 amps. That all makes sense to me, a 4800kv 2435 specifies a 24A max draw, and a 3300kv 3650 estimates a ~60 amp max draw, perfect for their corresponding ESC's.

So what should I use for a 2845-size motor that has a 47A max draw? The hobbywing 16BL30 has a 30A rating but a 180A peak, so would it be fine, or prone to overheating?
F540 motors are internally 2845's, and I see them paired with the bigger ESC's.

The only hint I've got is that the 28mm motors use 3.5mm bullet connectors, so they'd naturally fit a smaller ESC rather than the larger ones. I havn't found any ESC's that specify a 28xx-size motor, they all skip from 20/24mm to 36mm and up.

Thanks for any info from people that have used Hobbywing's 16BL30 in particular- what motor did you use, in what setup, and how were the temps?

I've not used the specific ESC you're asking about but what I generally do is look at the wattage for the motor and then figure out the max A draw for the particular voltage I'm going to be running and then I try to pair it with and ESC that has a higher continuous A rating than the motor can pull max or at least close. For example if I determine that the motor max amp draw is 88A then if I happen to have an 80A ESC laying around thats not in use then I may use that provided I'm not running short gearing or anything thats going to push the motor hard. Generally though I like to overkill the ESC whenever possible though just for the sake of longevity. Hope that helps in some way

What you're putting it in and how youll be driving should be a major factor in your decision. If its going in a 1/12 or 1/10 crawler, it's not likely to see near the max or continuous load it would in a basher like a mini Revo or Mini 8eight T.

I have three 16BL30s. One was in a 1/14 knockoff of the mini 8ight for awhile with a 4,500 KV 2435, but it got moved into a WPL B14 with a Hobbywing 2030 5,200kv. Another is in my WPL B16 with a 2435 3,300 KV, and the 3rd is in my MN78 Cherokee crawler with a 5,300 KV 2430. With their gearing, none of these exceeds 10 MPH top speed on 2S.

If I were putting a 2845 in a 1/16 or 1/14 4wd basher, I'd probably use a 10BL60 ESC.

I planted a Hobbywing 10BL60 and a 2845 Surpass 5900kv motor into a HBX 16889 Pro. I have programmed it to build power slowly, it will back flip from a start if I pin the throttle!

I run it on 120c 3s.

GPS I can hit 50mph with it easily. I am toying with it to try and get the chassis to 75mph. New ESC and Motor coming.

Back