Any women into tbe hobby?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The actual RC hobby has been pretty much a huge bust and disappointment for me. It's just too much hassle to make all that stuff work, program it, configure it, repair it, solder it, crash it, lose it, get upset all about it, charge it, rinse and repeat and do it all over again.. for what? Fun?

I put about $3000 into it and was getting nothing in return, and getting all my flying time actually in the sims, and I though, sweet be jesus, the sims are perfect. I can have fun with no headaches or expense. Isn't that what I want out of a hobby, instead of this never ending nightmare with RC hardware? Why did I buy all this RC c***? Just to see it in person? It wasn't worth it.. that's some expensive curiousity. I still have all the stuff, but it collects dust. I kind of think of it as the old obsolete way of having fun.. before.. powerful gaming computers.

If everything just worked out of the box, I think more girls would be interested. We really don't want to have to solder up a TV from scratch, so to speak, just to watch a sitcom for 30 minutes.

There are probably more out of the box RC cars and trucks that just work right out of the box... put batteries in it, switch it on, and go have some fun. But with quad copters or RC planes or nitro helicopters, you're basically you're own NASA building a flying robot with all the building and programming and configuring involved. Steep learning curves with learning Open-TX and Betaflight and soldering for that matter if you tackle it all at one time.

I myself probably would be more interest in the ground stuff, if it were like RC tanks and stuff with actual explosions and fire and destruction, like how Gomez Addams use to play with his trains. So, if you want more girls invovled, more destruction? As long as it don't have to be fixed...

Girls and boys are just wired differently. It's the same reason guys buy muscle cars, 4x4 trucks, and other crap that gets terrible gas mileage, won't run good for more than a week, and is constantly breaking poop. Hopping them up and working on them is my favorite part of that and the same goes for this hobby. I've done my share of FPV and LOS sims, and it is fun. But it's not even close to the real thing for me.

Girls and boys are just wired differently. It's the same reason guys buy muscle cars, 4x4 trucks, and other crap that gets terrible gas mileage, won't run good for more than a week, and is constantly breaking poop. Hopping them up and working on them is my favorite part of that and the same goes for this hobby. I've done my share of FPV and LOS sims, and it is fun. But it's not even close to the real thing for me.
What makes it fun for me, or anything mechanically. Is when something breaks, or gives you a hard time and instead of giving up you hunker down and figure out a solution. Really if it was supper easy like turning on 2 buttons, everyone would do it. Then would we really enjoy it as much as we would? To me being able to figure out things the average person would throw away or stop is the fun. I think I enjoy taking them apart and rebuilding just as much if not more driving them . But I do understand why people do drop out of the hobby. The money and time that's invested is ridiculous.

I will have you know...my gass guzzling 4x4 pos hasnt broken down in a few months 😶I'm quite proud of it actually

With a few exceptions, we avoid boys entirely because of the rampant and blatant bro culture misogyny in the RC hobby (at least in the flying world). With few exceptions, you'll never see us at an event or online posting videos.
Not sure if i just ran into the female version of myself or....the personality model for Wednesday Addams 🤔 rather intriguing the level of intensity of intelligence the passion and disgusted tone . Tells me never really a girly girl but wasn't "one of the guys" because you wasn't a guy left a love hate relationship with things you was actually interested in 🫂 cyber hugs
Some people dont like "out of norm" 😕 but you should always pursue your passion
(Not hitting on you got a rough past no thanks) but some people actually find the tomgirl and intelligence attractive. Just be you and be happy about it &@$% what others think