Any suggestions on a starter box??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well, just what the title says! I'm going to be using it for .21 engines, in a buggy of course 1/8 scale. I've looked at them all, Ofna, Kyosho, Duratrax, Etc. Kind of set on the Trinity X-5 click the linky to get a description and pic. Which is better battery wise to go with 12v gel cell, or two of the 7.2v batteries?? My friend has one made by Ofna, and that thing ways a ton. Would like something that does'nt weigh to much also. What do you guys recommend??

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000452676&I=LXEPG5&P=K

Woody

i have this one but have been told that to start the very tight tolerance italian engines it doesn't have enought torque. i can belive it since it had a hard time turning over my RTR buggies stock motor for break in. most of the time it would start ok, but every now and then it would stick at TDC. here is the one that i would recommend it has the stronger motor for those tight engines. as far as weight is concerned any starter box for a buggy is gonna be heavy, no getting around that. id rather have a heavy one thats durable and all metal anyway. no plastic to break on me.

the starter box by dynamite is by far the greatest I have ever seen.

Nitroaddict said:
the starter box by dynamite is by far the greatest I have ever seen.
I have to agree with NA since I have one myself. This was the first starter box I ever had. The onlything I had trouble with was the fact that the NTC3 chassis isn't quite long enough to make a good seat on the rear plate. It's now used on a Serpent 710.I have used it to start a friends Kyosho 1/8 scale and it started the OS .21 engine when others gave up (the engine was new and very tight).

You have a choice of using battery sticks, 12 volt gel cell or can hook it up to a car battery or one of those battery boosters.

The big plus about this starterbox is the fact that it uses a single high torque motor. No belts to slip or stretch and won't burn out like those little twin 550 motors that turn the belts.

Other than this starterbox, I would also suggest the OFNA multi scale box. It's pink and also uses a single high torque motor. It uses a 12 volt gel cell as well but can be rigged to use sticks or hooked up to a car battery as well.