Any hopups needed for the NTC3?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digital Liquid

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just bought a used NTC3 RTR and wanted to know if there were any "necessary" hop-ups which need to be done to it? What are this car's weakneses? It will be a little while for I can purchase anything, but I wanted to start building my list.

So far, it seems like a pretty good car. Although I don't have any other car's to personally compare it to. It only has the AE .12 engine, but it seems pretty fast for a .12. Does anyone know what the hp rating on this engine is? I can't find it anywhere. I can find everything else, but not the horsepower rating.

Thanks for the info!

First thing is get the 2 speed upgrade ... you'll thank me later.
Second thing to get are the threaded shock bodies.
Third is to get what's called "The Fix". Basically what it does is tie in the shock tower (both for front and back diffs)to the top of the differential and make it a more solid peice. This is a weak point, especially if hit hard enough or often enough. Not too many LHS's carry it but it can be found on Ebay. It's usually a $10 item.
Fourth, get the revised rear end (version 2 of the factory team kit) This can wait, but it's something to look forward to.

I have the older kit version and the first thing I did was drop an OS .12CV-RX into it. It makes a lot of power. After that I dropped in an OS .15CV-R (nonpull). That made lot's of power for bashing. Now I have a Rody Roem RB X12 5 port Turbo ... world of difference, even with an airleak. That will be taken care of tomorrow.My brother has an RB V12 3 port in his NTC3 and it's a performer as well.

As you progress on the learning curve, you'll learn to appreciate your NTC3 more and also hone your driving skills. I started as a park basher (and still love bashing) but I am getting into the racing side of this hobby. I know the 5 port turbo is not roar leagal, but it's ok at the place I willbe racing at. They have an "Open .12" class where I can run my Rody.

Enjoy your NTC3!

Thanks alot for your input Diver. I will definitely add item 1,2,& 3 to my shopping list for now & leave the other's until another time. So far it's a great car. Hopefully, I can find some other's to run with around here.

Right now, I have the whole car torn apart, while I wait for a rear turnbuckle to come in. That was the only thing wrong w/ it, when I purchased it.

Do you have any titanium parts in yours? I saw a titanium turnbuckles/pins/pivot balls package and thought it might be a good investment. I have this same TI package on my savage and it works great. Although the savage will definitely take more abuse than this car.

Do you have any other ideas for lightening up the car? Are any of the carbon fiber parts any good?

Later....

I would try and get some FT threaded shocks as those are a plus to have and help handling SOoooooo much better!

I have been searching to find the HP rating on the stock AE .12 Engine, & finally found it.

It states:

http://www.teamassociated.com/shusting/CatalogHub/engine/2900_engine.htm

#2912 .12 Pull Start Engine (.92 HP)
#2900 .15 Pull Start Engine (.96 HP)
#25300 .21 Dual Start Engine (2.1 HP)

I just thought I would share in case anyone else was looking.

Later....:mex:

Thank you! I can go to bed now..... Whew!

:)

NO! Not because I can.

I was insinuating that I have been up ALL NIGHT LONG looking, when in fact I wasn't. Just taking a bad shot at being funny. I did in fact look, but was not successful, nor did I invest the time required to find it, since it is out there.

Bad funny bad! Sorry if you read it wrong.

Lol I was just playing. just wanted to see your reaction. Ok No more spam. sorry

No problem, I was reading it wrong. Sometimes I'm a grouch when I first get out of bed. But for some reason, the HP rating for their engines was hard to find.

Later...:mex:

Last edited:
I'm typically not an butthead or sarcastic. Maybe a bit twisted, but not sarcastic. This is why lol

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who is a grouch in the morning. Note the time I made the post hehehe

Jon2 - Bad spammer bad! Timeout for 10 seconds mister! And bring me a beer!

Ok was that an Odouls you wanted or an Amstel Light? Mind if it is a bit warm?Ok this is the last time...

If its warm and tastes like Corona I'm going to question if its beer!

lololol

RLMAO I am unsubscribing to this thread. TO damn tempting. Anyways, Hey Chris Like I said get some FT shocks, some foams and a RPM bumper as the one AE gives you is crap. I would also look into getting the 2speed and if you like the carbon fiber radio tray cause its just bling IMO. No more spam here. BYE ALL!!

Thanks for all the info, I just made some extra $$$ over the weekend & plan to order a couple of items w/ it. So far on the list:

Being Ordered Tonight:
---The Fix (front & rear)
---Ellegi Foam Tires
---Two SF-2 Servo's (steering & brake/throttle)
---Titanium Turnbuckle & Pin Set
---RPM Front Bumper
---Aluminum Wheel Lock Nuts

To Be Ordered After My Funds Replinish:
--- 2-Speed Tranny
--- Complete Carbon Upgrade Kit
--- Possibly a New Engine (don't know what yet, will decide when that time comes)

Thanks for all the input.

Later....:mex:

Can you guys tell me what weight shock oil you run & what springs?

Thanks.

Thanks for starting this thread DL. I just got 2 ntc3's from Jon2, (thanks Jon!), an rtr thats going on ebay, and a kit with a Mugen 12 that I'm keeping. It has the good parts and is amazingly fast, but I'm a dirt guy so I need lots of road practice. Can you guys recommend a long lasting tire for asphalt? I think I need about 1000 hours of practice, so life is more important than grip at this time.

Next I am getting a Jr reciever and fast Hitec 5625 dig servos for throt and steering. Otherwise I think its ready to rip. Yeah, what shock oil to run?

Glad to hear it. I told ya Scott. The tires that you will need would probably be rubber for now. I would get some Proline Road Rage tires. Foams are really for a groomed surface. WHen you are ready then try 40-45 shore for foam. THey will last you so long as the surface you run on is clean.

ALso get the XXX MAIN touring car set up guide. Helped me tremendously.

Jon

Scott, I used to use rubber tires a lot and the Belted HPI x-patterns was my choice. Great for dusty asphalt and got good mileage out of them. What I learned, after running with rubber tires for a good year is that foams are just as good. You get good grip and they come premounted so no messing with CA on your fingers and fumes.

A set of good rubber tires will pretty much cost you the same as foams, especially if you use the premolded foams which are much better than the foams that come with the tires. I would suggest soft inserts in the rear and medium hard in the front. That was my setup when just running in the park or in parking lots.

Back