Another Quadcopter Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, another one, I have a problem, leave me alone. :D Actually, I just bought a new FPV specific frame (keeps the rotors out of the camera view) in the form of the Hoverthings Flip FPV to transfer my existing electronics over to. My current plan is to repurpose the F450 frame soon for a hot rod aerobatic quadcotper now that I'll have a dedicated FPV ship.

So I got stuff in the mail today

P1120002copy_zpsf0a34512.jpg

Unboxed

P1120014copy_zps45f9b03f.jpg

They even include the proper sized Wiha driver, and a battery strap. Very nice touch from the folks at hoverthings.

P1120015copy_zps30cca9af.jpg

I got some 3s 4000mah packs in for this one also, but you guys know what a battery looks like. Tomorrow I'll start tearing the gear out of the other frame, and wiring up my power distribution board. Looks like a crappy weekend weather wise, so I hope to finish by tomorrow night or Sunday since it's perfect build weather. More to come...

Wait, you mean to tell me that these run on batteries? I always thought that they ran on nos and super chargers.

Wait, you mean to tell me that these run on batteries? I always thought that they ran on nos and super chargers.

Close...:D

aliens_zpsa487f7a9.jpg

---------- Post added at 4:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:07 PM ----------

Been slowly plugging away at it today.

Finishing up the tear down of the F450 components

P1120020copy_zps96a3e4a0.jpg

P1120028copy_zps2c986c0f.jpg

Tinned up my PDB

P1120019copy_zps34fa2a7d.jpg

And made some extensions for my ESCs

P1120034copy_zpsf6f82584.jpg

And PDB is done

P1120036copy_zpsb9f14814.jpg

Should be airworthy by dark
rockwoot.gif

Well, crap. I was minutes away from a flight test, and like an idiot didn't pay close enough attention to where I put the VU (DJI's version of a UBEC) and got it too close to one of the metal stand offs for the PDB (power distro board) and smoked a capacitor on it. So now I get to wait a week to have one delivered here to podunk. What a crock of BS they don't coat or shrink wrap those caps!! $25 shot for nothing, and no flying this thing at all for a week now. So aggravated with myself that I didn't pay closer attention :angry:

Oh, man. Major bummer. Hit an electric supply house for some shrink tubing while you're waiting. It's like CA glue or milk. I can NEVER be without it.

Heat shrink would work nicely. I was trying to remember the name of the conformal coating we used when we built our avionics. Too late on Saturday and not enough beer to remember. It wasn't cheap but it was so good that we could dunk any of our boards that we used it to coat in salt water with no problems while they were powered up.

Well, crap. I was minutes away from a flight test, and like an idiot didn't pay close enough attention to where I put the VU (DJI's version of a UBEC) and got it too close to one of the metal stand offs for the PDB (power distro board) and smoked a capacitor on it. So now I get to wait a week to have one delivered here to podunk. What a crock of BS they don't coat or shrink wrap those caps!! $25 shot for nothing, and no flying this thing at all for a week now. So aggravated with myself that I didn't pay closer attention :angry:

Maybe you should have had the beer and pizza after all this^^^^ :D, It sux Dude, My 4wd sct was down until today, got it all going, tore the ve8 down to clean all teh bearings and found out my t8 slung a magnet and imploded in itself, Lost the the rx8 and the motor at the same time at easley 2 weeks ago,,hoping tekin will replace the motor, gotta figure out what I'm gonna run it for an ESC, I'm thinking Orion R8 or i may try one of the xerun 150A everyone is raving about.

lol, well you wont do that again will you? :p iv been there and done that, i fried a KK2.0 board on my quad copter cuz i got too excited. yeh only a 40$ mistake but had to wait 4-5days for a new one.

Nothin' worse that expensive RC lessons, especially the ones where you dont even get to have any fun first...I HATE those!!!

Great looking quad btw!

Thanks fellas, I'm always most aggravated when it's my fault for something I should have caught. And I only had one beer at that point LOL. The really sad part is, I have a giant pack of heat shrink tubing sitting here, just didn't pay attention to the exposed caps. You can bet the new one will be wrapped well beforehand. Going to spend today working on wire management, my layout for all my video gear, GPS, etc. When the new BEC gets here, I'm just going to tap into the wires that are already soldered in to the board, no need to take the whole thing back apart IMO.

Well, I've spent they day finishing everything, so that when the BEC show up, it will be quick to get it in the air.

I was worried about my ESC signal wires rubbing on the G10 plates, so I took some fuel tubing and put over them

P1120050copy_zps7840356f.jpg

Here's a good view showing how the design keeps major power wires, and the EMI associated with them away from your video gear. Also, I chose to mount my video TX high up so that when flying high, I can turn the antenna downward towards the the RX on the ground. I love the design!

P1120060copy_zps1fe245e1.jpg

I spent the most time mounting the cameras, as I only wanted to drill one hole for the FPV cam. So I spent a good hour putting the GoPro on there, turn it on, spin the props by hand, remove, watch the vid, adjust, again and again, and again so that there will be no props in the video.

P1120064copy_zps3fdddae0.jpg

Another view

P1120054copy_zps745b1000.jpg

And, here's something that I REALLY wish more companies would do, and it might cost them an extra $1 on a kit price. I followed the instructions to a tee, and here's how much extra stuff that hoverthings gives you, just in case.

P1120071copy_zps41e8c38b.jpg

I hope to maiden it mid week!

Last edited:
Back