AM vs. FM?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AC48

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I know the difference but how much of an increase of reliability is FM? I have an MX-A and I can get a MX-3 for 80 shipped NIB. Is it worth it to upgrade or is AM ok? It will be going on a MP777 with HS-5645MG and a HS-645MG.

yes, it's worth it.... if you can get a new one, do that instead....I know you can get the Futaba 3PM fro about 120 and it rocks...has most of the features of the high end radios w/ half the price....FM is definately a stronger signal, less interference (glitching) and longer range...

FM bro u will not regret it ....

I think I'm gonna jump to an FM radio in my maxx... i would rather get synthizised, but those are kinda pricey...

Definitally get fm... WAY more range and much less glitching. I have an MX-3 and you will not regret it if you buy one. I'm getting a hitec rx so i can use my MX-3 for my new gt also. I CAN'T STAND cheap, crappy radios.... the one that comes with the gt is like a joke... I think they made it so it was temporary so that when you buy the gt you can tune it up then sell the radio and get a new one... (not really but thats what happens)

Ok thanks guys, if I can I will be getting the MX-3.

One of the cheapest full synth Tx's is the MX3-S, which is what I have. Works great, except for one area on my street where I think someone has an illegal transmitter. Cars glitch totally in front of this one house only. They are middle eastern and I think they brought back something from one of their trips home that is not U.S. FCC legal.

Uh Oh now you've done it...the FBI will be raiding their home soon.....see what a good neighbor you are....LOL....actually I wouldn't be surprised if it did get searched now...

I think they brought home a wireless router from another country. I doubt it is a ham or similar transmitter as it is always on.

I used to have a 400Watt linear in my old van back when I still used electric RC's and even If I had the RC turned off and I keyed the mic on the CB I could hear myself faintly through the moter on the RC. It kind of bugged me out

21rc10GT, they arent pricey at all!!! I got the MX-3S for 160.00 from towerhobbies. It will be here monday, 18 model memory on this thing :D

I was lucky with EBAY and got my XS3 and RX for pretty cheap . I also got a spare RS300 . Shop around. The Synth is nice but FM is the minimum level I would get nothing less. Not enough channels to choose. 75MHz FM or Synth for me.

Just dont get a 27 mhz synth FM radio... you only get 6 channels to pick from for cryin out loud lol. For like 10 bucks extra, you can get the 75 mhz MX-3S with 30 channels ;)

alot of guys at my local hobby shop say you don't need the hi end radios but I can't
under stand that because all the pro's have hi end radios

Back