4X4 opinion time.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Since I am starting completely over, I am looking for opinions on a 1/10 4X4 for heavy winter use. So far, I'm looking at the Slash, AE Pro4, and Arrma Senton, and, of the three, I know the Slash can be upgraded to handle what I do with them, and, I had really bad luck with my V1 Senton breaking in the cold a lot, but, who knows how much things have changed the last couple years. I have zero experience with the Pro4 though.

Yep, yes is the only answer. 🤓

Ill make a suggestion, I highly doubt a 4x4 SCT would be good for the snow. Look at a xmaxx or kraton for that. And invest in some paddle tires.

Or a TRX4 with the Traxx system, that would be super pretty and nice, but your kind of more of a basher speed type guy.

Been a while since we seen ya. Whats happening? Anything new?

If you still want a sct, get the new sct410 2.0 .

The thing with short course trucks is yes they are fun, look good, and realistic (kind of), but due to them being the chassis compact and tight, and closed wheel, debris gets kicked up by the tires, hits the body and goes into the chassis, which gets hard to clean sometimes depending on the car. Its not like a open wheel car like a truck or buggy. You can always eliminate that with like a chassis shroud or those plastic fender protector things.

Some other suggestions, the new Big Rock 6S? Or new Mojave 4S? - I was looking at the 4wd Senton BLX and 4wd Vortexs BLX on AMain for Black Friday / Cyber Monday - 40 bucks off. Not sure if those sales are still going on.

Last edited:
I haven't run my Slash in the extreme cold, but I too had a bad experience with the Senton.

I have a pair of sentons that routinely get skate park bashed and take it like a champ. I've had a slash 4x4 for 8-10 years. There's no comparison really, the senton is hands down tougher than the slash.

That being said, I don't think an sct is ideal for winter bashing. I would think that a monster truck or truggy would do better in snow. I can't really say as I don't play much outdoors in the winter. Plastic made by any manufacturer will become more brittle in cold temps so I just avoid it.

I might have some chassis all metal crawlers for sale billet wheels ect. 4 wheel steer as well.

Since I am starting completely over, I am looking for opinions on a 1/10 4X4 for heavy winter use. So far, I'm looking at the Slash, AE Pro4, and Arrma Senton, and, of the three, I know the Slash can be upgraded to handle what I do with them, and, I had really bad luck with my V1 Senton breaking in the cold a lot, but, who knows how much things have changed the last couple years. I have zero experience with the Pro4 though.
I have experience in all of these platforms (kinda, but the V3 Senton), and I’ve found that the Slash 4X4 Ultimate is the best. It’s best value with
• Aluminum upgrades
• Low CG chassis
• VXL-3s
• TQi w/TSM
• Link module (which I have not gotten the chance to use yet)
The AE Pro4 SC10 has a bad radio system, and the Arrma just had problems from the start as it was the brushed version (the drivetrain is completely different).
Get a Slash 4X4 Ultimate.
Or, if you fancy kits, a Tekno SCT410 2.0 (everyone wants one these days, including myself)

Yep, yes is the only answer. 🤓

Ill make a suggestion, I highly doubt a 4x4 SCT would be good for the snow. Look at a xmaxx or kraton for that. And invest in some paddle tires.
I "monster" all my SCT'S anyway, and I run 2WD SCT's in snow quite often, but even "monstered", they get stuck easy, which is why I want a 4X4, and, I am extremely partial to 1/10 SCT's.

Been a while since we seen ya. Whats happening? Anything new?
New job, new house, a lot of personal issues.

I probably should have specified one thing. I am going to be buying a used slider, and building it my way. If I end up with a Slash/Rally like last time, I will just build it like my last one, but, I like trying different brands, and I am a big fan of AE stuff.

I have a pro4 sc10, and had until recently a senton v3.
For winter use, i would likely lean towards senton with scorched rc inner fenders.
If you were more interested in handling and some track use, as well as a decent basher i would go pro4
The senton will have more easily obtained spares (at least it was for me), and more aftermarket support.

The Pro 4 SC10 shares a lot of parts with their Rival MT10, the only differences are the tub chassis, center drive shaft and bumpers... and of course, body, wheels and tires.

The MT10 has a pretty good rep for durability, so I wouldn't worry about the SC10 on that score. In my area, spare parts for Arrma and Team Associated are both an on-line order away.

I do prefer the center diff of the SC10 to the slipper of the Senton (a weak point on the one I owned), and the 14mm wheel hexes on the Senton are, to me, an odd size for a 1/10 SCT.

I do prefer the center diff of the SC10 to the slipper of the Senton (a weak point on the one I owned), and the 14mm wheel hexes on the Senton are, to me, an odd size for a 1/10 SCT.
Actually, the 14MM hex is one of the parts I do like about the Arrma trucks, because, of all the non paddle tires I have tried, the Katars seem to work really well in snow. The only center diff truck I have ever owned was a Losi TEN-SCTE, that I really didn't run much.

As for Arrma winter durability, I think I literally broke every part on my V1 build the first winter I ran it. Lower arms were especially easy to break. I built a Slash/Rally hybrid with the Traxxas HD kit, and I don't remember breaking anything on that. Now if only Arrma would come out with a similar kit, it would be a no-brainer, because I do really like how interchangeable parts are from the different Arrma models.

Yeah, both brands have a lot of parts in common on their 1/10 models.

My Traxxas 4x4 models that have that commonality, each have a center differential. Hoss, Slash, Rally and a Street -Slash build.

Last edited:
Yeah, both brands have a lot of parts in common on their 1/10 models.

My Teaxxas 4x4 models that have that commonality, each have a center differential. Hoss, Slash, Rally and a Street -Slash build.
I build Bandit's and Slash cars from Stampedes and Rustler's, because, around here, they are the cheapest 2WD in the Traxxas lineup you can get, but, I have only ever messed with one Traxxas 4WD, a Fiesta Rally I picked up used, so, I'm familiar with both Arrma and Traxxas parts interchangeability, but, of the two, I personally prefer the Arrma platform for building from, I just hate repairing them all the time. With Traxxas, it's almost a, build it HD, and never fix it again type thing, which works for me, because of how much of a pain it can be to get the diffs out.

Back