Airtronics M8

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulangelo

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am picking up a used M8 that has a AM 27 mhz module in it. It is used for the Mini Z's Currently I have a JRX2i and it doesn't play so well with my Mini T but my Mini Z's have no problems with it. Will the M8 work with the stock mini T electronics? If not, no biggie. I also have a Schumacher XTR and am running a 75 mhz am futaba radio with it. will I be able to get the M8 to work with that also? I have some spare JR 27 am receivers and a 27 mhz futaba receiver also. But I heard that the 75 is cleaner and better for nitro than the 27. So should I get the 75 MHZ module for the M8 or just go with the 27?? The deal I'm getting with the M8 is too good to pass up.

A good question...and one I'll try to answer correctly. Yes, the 75MHz tends to be a better frequency band to work in. The "cleaner" side of things that you have heard of comes from the fact that most RCs are sold with a 27MHz band radio set. This means that there are not as many operators out there with a 75MHz radio set. This is changing as more and more RC modelers switch up to the 75MHz to get away from the NIKKO and RADIO SHACK kids in their area.

Can you get a 75MHz module for the M8? Yes. Can you drop one into your radio that is made for a 27MHz module? Not one hundred percent certain that you can. Most radios tuned to a specific band will not work so well in another band. Not all radios can change from one band module to another; nor can many change from one modulation type to another. You may want to call Airtronics and ask them directly on this particular instance. Could save you a great deal of pain and some money.

Their number is (714) 978-1895

If you are going to get a new module I would hold off till January if possible.
In Jan. Horizon will have the new DSM is (Digital Spectrum Modulation) M8 module that requires no channel selection. It uses cell phone technology and will not allow another radio to interfere.

From what I hear it will be around the same price as the existing 75 module and the RXs will come in at less than most of the RXs on the market now.

All the big boys are using the first run of 75 units that were put on the
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM1002

Last edited:
The cell module sounds interesting, Eddy. Can you drop that or any transmitter module into just any radio? I wasn't certain that you could (the whole modulation and frequency band issue). Is the transmitter module the entire transmit side of the radio? Just asking for my own edification.

the radios that use modules can use any module made for them with a corrosponding reciever. so that 27am, can use a 75fm module. the spektrum that horizon has pending is also pretty slick, use it like any other module and thier receiver and you never have to worry about frequencies again. the set is supposed to launch with a price of about 160 for module and 1 receiver. additional receivers will go for about 80. so its not that much more than the std. bands we are using now. its compatable with any transmitter that uses a module. so the M8, 3PK, 3PJ, Helios, etc. are all cantidates for this setup.

Thanks for the info CorradoPsi. I'll definitely have to look into that cell module, now. I run a full synth set up by HiTec and it is great. I have yet to have any interference, but with all the RC-res moving into the 75MHz band I may want to stay ahead of the crowd. Great find Eddy and great info Corrado...thanks.

Back