Air Filter Oil substitutes???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asimons07

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I was just wondering if there is a safe substitute for the oil used on air filters???

There really isn't anything that's a substitute. You need to get some sort of sticky air filter oil.

I use motorcycle air filter oil. Comes in a spray can and works nicely. I picked it up at a local motorcycle shop.

This stuff: PJ1 Foam Filter Oil

Last edited:
Take the question to free for all and ill tell you what works great. lol
Kidding.

I'm just curious, why are you looking to use something other than air filter oil?

I'm just curious, why are you looking to use something other than air filter oil?

Most people that use something different, get it because for the same price, you get like 10x as much.

Most people that use something different, get it because for the same price, you get like 10x as much.

yep I used to... then I got a 280 dollar engine And uh i use filter oil now, with a motor saver filter. Stickier stuff and it works a lil better.

yep I used to... then I got a 280 dollar engine And uh i use filter oil now, with a motor saver filter. Stickier stuff and it works a lil better.

Don't worry about it GusMax... water works just fine on a $280 engine:hehe:

Don't worry about it GusMax... water works just fine on a $280 engine:hehe:

LOL yea, That water comment really cracked me up considering I tried to turn my revo into a submarine when it took off on me srait into a 6 foot deep ditch with about 3 feet of water at the bottom... I always double check the carb servo linkage now tho.

Any parts house will carry air filter spray that works good. I use the same stuff I run on my K&N on my Silverado SS.

Last edited:
i also use the k&n recharge kit for cleaning and oiling.

j.r.

I use a K&N filter on my 1:1 truck, but I'm not sure if that type of spray is comparable to the oil I put on my Motor Saver filter. The MS oil (blue) is much stickier and I would assume better at trapping the smallest particles.

I use a K&N filter on my 1:1 truck, but I'm not sure if that type of spray is comparable to the oil I put on my Motor Saver filter. The MS oil (blue) is much stickier and I would assume better at trapping the smallest particles.

It is stickier but the K&N stuff seems to stay more wet. I use a outerwears over my motorsaver also. Either is better than neither. LOL :hehe:

I just picked up the HPI spray, gona try it out this afternoon.

It is stickier but the K&N stuff seems to stay more wet. I use a outerwears over my motorsaver also. Either is better than neither. LOL :hehe:

:thumbup:
I've had pretty good luck with the MS oil, but I probably use a little too much. It probably shouldn't drip off the element huh? :hehe: (Ok, not THAT bad, but you get the idea).

:thumbup:
I've had pretty good luck with the MS oil, but I probably use a little too much. It probably shouldn't drip off the element huh? :hehe: (Ok, not THAT bad, but you get the idea).

I like mine wet. Haven't lost a motor yet (knock on wood.. Head will do) so I guess it must be ok. LOL

I just picked up the HPI spray, gona try it out this afternoon.

I'd like to hear what you think after you give it a go.

Air filter oil search

That is a very good question because the price is going up through the roof thanks to politicians of the last decade. There are good answers here, a motorcycle shop and maybe that blue tacky stuff. K & N seems to be priced too high and now in a package kit I don't want. The cleaner is 409, same as Cleaner degreaser at Smart and Final. These days with hyperinflation still going strong since 1999 we have less choice and higher prices to pay, that's the real recession they never told you about::whhooo:

Hyperinflation SINCE 1999... Me thinks not, but you go ahead and tell it any way you want.

Just an FYI--posts laden with political speech quickly end up in the Free For All and away from the general forums...

Try and use thick castor oil or a thick vegetable oil. Point is to use a really sticky oil and one than will not damage the engine when it gets into it and it will.

Traxxas uses plain 30wt in the demo cd that came with my car. Can't vouch for it's effectiveness in rc's but it works in other filter aps in a pinch.