Adding Electric

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b_balln4life

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have been running a HPI Savage XL for 2 years now. Great truck for bashing and running on camping trips but I am wanting to get into racing a little bit. The only down side is we only have one track in the area and it is a indoor track so Nitro is out of question. Have been looking at Short Course trucks. Love my HPI but have been looking at Traxxas. Any and all help would be awesome.

Traxxas is not for racing. Unless you plan putting In a lot of money into it. Look at some trucks from team associated, losi, or even ofna. What's your budget?

The Associated SC10 RTR is probably the most affordable race-ready truck right now, as low as $200 for the 2WD "pro", about $275 for the 2WD "race spec" and $350 for a 4x4; just add battery pack and you're good to go.

If you're gonna get serious about racing, I'd suggest starting with a kit from the get-go so you can be sure it is assembled correctly and with the components you want. RTRs aren't bad, but sometimes things are not installed correctly or tightly, and if you're going to upgrade electronics, suspension, etc anyway, just as well do it straight away.

Are you thinking you want 2WD or 4WD? And is this track small/tight/technical or more open? With that information we can help you narrow the selection a bit. Lots of good options out there, but there are always pros and cons to each.

Thanks for all the help guys. My local track is pretty tight the long straight is about 100 feet. When I have been out there laps are 15-20 sec. I am not wanting to spend a lot on a truck. Was wanting to go with 4WD But if yo guys think 2WD might work better for me I will look into it.

Attachments

• Index.jpg
    Index.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
2wd vs 4wd is all about your driving IMO. You will have more easy control with a 4wd, but if you are good on the wheel, and can drift the ass end around corners and line it up for a good tire hookup, then 2wd is where you should be.

I really enjoy my 2WD stuff, but you have to mellow your driving, and they can be really aggravating on a loose track. Having said that, I don't see much point in the 2WD short course trucks. Compared to stadium trucks, they're heavier, they don't fly or land as gracefully, and they don't hook up as well with the narrower tires. Basically, unless racing other 2WD SCTs, you'll get your butt kicked. Stadium trucks and buggies have the edge in 2WD.

If you're wanting to race, probably the best bang for your buck is the Associated RTR SC10 4x4. Very tuneable, very capable, and you can be set up with 2S LiPo for under $400. I went a different route as I do not like belt drive, but I am unaware of anyone who has been disappointed with the SC10.

If budget is not a huge concern, there are tons of options, including the SC10 kit, OFNA TS4/Nexx 10SC or Jammin SCRT10, Losi TenSCT, Durango DESC410..........

I said that, I don't see much point in the 2WD short course trucks. Compared to stadium trucks, they're heavier, they don't fly or land as gracefully, and they don't hook up as well with the narrower tires. Basically, unless racing other 2WD SCTs, you'll get your butt kicked. Stadium trucks and buggies have the edge in 2WD.

If you are a good driver and practice a lot you can control the truck by letting the rear end slide out and "drift" through the turns. I have to disagree that the skinnier tires and un-graceful landings are completely false. A 2wd buggy, SCT, and stadium truck are all different. That's why they have different classes.

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Go to a couple races at your track. See what guys are running there.

Losi, Associated, Tekno, Durango, and OFNA all make good kits for racing. As to whether or not to go 2WD or 4WD, Id find out whats more popular at your local track and go with that.

Thanks for all the advice. I have decided to go with the TLR 22SCT Kit. Does anyone have any suggestions on motor and ESC set up? I'm gonna run spektrum radio and servo.

Most of the racers that I know will recommend a good sensored brushless set up. This is another thing that is best discussed with the local racers ath your track.

Back