Acquired a Jato

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just a few pics of my recent addition to my addiction. Also, the notes including the necessary things I needed to do to use non-stock wheels/tires (just a few washers).

Jato 2.5
Came with:
RPM arms/bumper
Aluminum turnbuckles
Everything else stock (I think)

I've replaced the following to suit my needs:
TRX1974 - Traxxas light truck wheel, front
TRX1972 - Traxxas light truck wheel, rear
PRO809501 - Pro-line "The Edge" M2, front
PRO817001 - Pro-line gladiators M2, rear
TRX4118 - Traxxas 18T CB

I changed the throttle/brake linkage. I didn't care for the stock setup. It only let the carb open half way and the spring on the brakes didn't work very well. I also adjusted the brake disk tension bolts to actually give me some brake arm movement. Now it will lock the rear wheels if I adjust my EPA's. I re-routed the fuel line as it made the center of the chassis too cluttered and I quickly made a steel plate to help support the tops of the upper turnbuckles for the front wheels. I read somewhere that was a weak point.

With the front wheels, I put a couple 5mm washers on the axles prior to the wheels as there was significant slop with the new wheels and the axle nuts tight. This actually worked in my favor by adding more clearance between the tire/wheel and front axle carriers. The rears didn't require anything extra.

I actually ran about 5 tanks of byrons 25% through it today after bashing our LST's/aftershocks at a dirt pile. I don't have any photo's of the action though. But it did very well. I was surprised at how much air I could get under it and nothing was damaged.

Even with an 18T CB, it still really moves. I think the lower gear ratio actually lets the 2.5 reach higher RPM's which seems to be where traxxas engines really shine. With the stock gearing, it just sounded labored on concrete with stock tires/wheels and never really came close to reaching top RPM's. It has much better pop off the line and shifts much better (after a full turn on the two speed adjustment).

Anyway, here are a few pics of how it sits now (no body, it's just a beat up stocker):
2007-0728-JatoRight.jpg

2007-0728-JatoTop.jpg

2007-0728-JatoTopRight.jpg

2007-0728-JatoThrottleLinkage.jpg

I was jumping the dirt pile the same way I was jumping my aftershock in this vid:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7FZBN54lpM"]YouTube - Jumping a LST2 over a table top type jump[/ame]

I don't have any vids of the jato though, I was running it as the other guys were packing up.

Last edited:
Looks like a fun project....I have heard those Jatos are FAST..........best of luck...

man those little stadium trucks are fun huh, even more so when there WAY over powered. i have the rc10 with a .18cv-rx on it and i agree with you they FLY!! if your running on loose dirt get you some nice big lug rears so you can dig in and go!!

DSC02053.jpg

not sure on my wing yet, havent drivin it with the wing...

Sweet lookin rig there Olds. I really like those tires, I may have to pick up a set.

Bryson

if your running on loose dirt get you some nice big lug rears so you can dig in and go!!

I think pro-line makes some mean square lug tires that I almost bought. I was affraid the nubs would wear off too fast if I ran on pavement at all.

I do have some losi-step pins coming in that are mounted on the same rims I have. Those were some pretty sticky tires.

I don't know what I'll throw in it when the 2.5 dies. This is the first time I've owned a 2.5 that didn't run hot. It peaked at 220F and was running pretty strong. I think it's because the engine is actually enough power for a 2wd ST. I'm glad traxxas quite trying to jam it into MT's and say it was enough... we all know it wasn't.

With the 18Tm being so cheap and being pretty much a drop in, that will probably be the way I go when the time comes.

I've had a set of the square pins from proline, the dirt paws. they do wear kinda fast, even on hard dirt and grass. but the grip you get is unreal. i havent tried these yet, but I'm sure they will grip well. its just a matter of mileage.

i have the older .18cv-rx and it is plenty of power for the rig. i could outrun a .18tm powered revo (i know what your all saying, same size mill bigger truck, i should be able to kill him. BUT he is 4wd and could punch and go, I'm 2wd and have to feather the throttle to keep the truck from backflipping off the line!! :) )

I've heard where the front assembly meets the chassis is a weak spot on that rig as well.

You can fix the front ends weekness pretty easy I hear. I think slayden did it on the traxxas forum or in RCD, I'm not shure. It saposibly made it track ready with his mods to it and made the jato alot stronger.

Bryson

i have the older .18cv-rx and it is plenty of power for the rig.

In the Jato? What header/exhaust did you use?

Although, with the 18TM being pretty reasonable, I'd probably go with that... I kind of dig the ez-start. I use to hate it but I think that was more because I didn't have a proper charger.

Although, the ez-start on the Jato is a lot of extra weight for the size of the truck and I'd be just as happy with a pull start. I'm sure when it breaks, I'll just get a pull-start for it anyway.

I can't get over how light it is. And I forgot how short grass has to be to run an ST... the concrete ate up my nice new front tires last night. They aren't ruined, but they definitely lost their "edge". I might get another set of what I have on the rear for the front. They seemed to hold up really well to the concrete and the appeared to work well in the dirt, what little I ran it.

Last edited:
no i have the .18 on a rc10gt. same size truck though and crazy fast

Back