6v hump pack charging

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenMax

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
What’s up people!
I am finally moving over to a hump pack and want to know the best way and voltages to charge and if it needs to be discharged.

It is a NiMh 1700mah 5 cell 6v hump pack.
It read about 6.4v out of the box. I have a new Tenergy charger and a Triton EQ, both charge it but do not specify much.

I can set the amps to charge but that’s by it. So, like my Lipo it says 7.4v but the storage voltage is higher than that and when fully charged it sits at 8.4.

So with this 6v 1700mah NiMh hump pack what would the voltage show when fully charged? Is there a low voltage that’s a threshold I should avoid? I know 1.7a is the max charge eye but I know slower charge is better for these types.

Still learning all there is to know about electric RC Lol thanks in advance!

NiMH cells are charged by a delta voltage or something like that. As they fill, the voltage of the cells drops a bit and the charger senses it if the charger is in NiMH/NiCAD mode. Typically you just set the amperage. I don't usually charge my receiver packs at more than 1 amp, but it should be safe to charge at 1C (1.7A in your case for a 1700mah pack).

You will need to condition the 5 cell pack 1st. thats a charge at .01 (or lowest your charger can be set at)amp till all reach there full state.. you might have to adjust your delta peak setting. as in up in a couple volts the max voltage can be factored by 1.45 x 5... and there is no real minimum voltage ...I picked up a futaba cdr 5000 about 8 years ago they have leads to monitor each cell of a battery pack..

Id stay under a 1 amp charge rate to make batteries hold a charge longer as in life of cell..

best to do a conditioning in all NiXX packs or cells

I read something recently that lipo's have a break in and should be charged/discharged/storage charged before using at no more than 1C the first time.

NiMH cells are charged by a delta voltage or something like that. As they fill, the voltage of the cells drops a bit and the charger senses it if the charger is in NiMH/NiCAD mode. Typically you just set the amperage. I don't usually charge my receiver packs at more than 1 amp, but it should be safe to charge at 1C (1.7A in your case for a 1700mah pack).
I’m old school and always remembered the slower and less amp the better the charge, unlike Lipos. I am currently running at 1.0 amps. My only thing is how to know what it’s done. Assuming the charger will know somehow as my screen doesn’t tell me much that I can use. I know what the screens saying but like a 7.4v lipo I know charges to 4.2. I have no idea what a 6v hump pack will charge to or if it even works that way. I don’t want to overcharge it and blow it up but I think my charger won’t let it, it’s a Tenergy TB6B Charger I just picked up a few days ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 123
the Delta peak thats either default will end charge. you can adjust that thru menu options an that 4 button charger aka 50watt charger

Back